Firewood

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

beauxp

Firewood

Post by beauxp »

Is really the only place you can pick up firewood is in west Glacier? How much does it cost to buy it and can you guy it on the east side anywhere?
Stevo

Re: Firewood

Post by Stevo »

Most if not all stores sell firewood, just keep an eye out for it. There is a gas station/convenience store in East Glacier that sell firewood, plus the Glacier Trading post.
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

Normally it seems to run about $5 a bundle, the bundles are normally about 1 cubic foot of wood, not that much really.

Dave
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Hockey Ref »

Before spending money on firewood, make sure you'll actually be able to burn it. Open fires often are illegal due to forest fire concerns.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
twohappykampers
Gender?: Female

Post by twohappykampers »

We've gathered wood north of Fishcreek where you're allowed to gather............. let me tell you, it's not worth it. The road to get there is horrible, and the mosquitoes have major conventions out in that area. Go into Columbia Falls and buy it at Super 1. We paid $3.79 a bundle last year at Super 1.
Ken & Mary Ann
Life's a mountain, not a beach!
beauxp

Post by beauxp »

thanks for the info. I had someone suggest to pick some up before i come into the park. Might do that.
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

Currently the bundles of wood at Super 1 and Albertson's is running $4.99 a bundle and at Ace Hardware it is $5.49 a bundle, I just happen to know these three because I had to visit all three of these stores yesterday.

Dave
twohappykampers

Price of wood, plus cost of gas to go get it, whether gathered (outside the park) or bought, causes us to be very careful about the amount of wood we burn. Of course, if you need groceries, then a trip into Super 1 kills two birds with one stone.

Here's another thought, save your firewood money, drive over to Lake McDonald Lodge, get yourself a drink from the bar or mug of hot chocolate, and go park yourself in front of that big fireplace. Ahhhhhhhh, that's the life! :arrow:
Ken & Mary Ann
mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Donator & Special Contributor
Gender?: Male

Post by mattB »

I've collected firewood from alongside the road on the way into Bowman Lake campground, there is tons of dead lodgepole about 2-4 inches in diameter, makes perfect firewood. I think firewood collecting is allowed there, just not right in the campground. I think there may be a couple other spots like that in Glacier. Also, if you're driving Highway 2 to the east side, there should be some places on National Forest land south of highway 2 where you could collect some firewood, maybe check with the Forest Service?
If you;re interested in collecting and not buying, would require a small hand saw though.
july gal
Donator
Donator

Post by july gal »

Inside the park all the campstores generally carry bundles. We've had mixed luck -- moreso bad wood than good. We've tried to hit the Super 1 in Columbia Falls, too, on our way to the park and had pretty good luck w/ quality. The bundles are larger there, too, than inside the park.
In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.” — Margaret Atwood
Tara

Post by Tara »

We do most of our camping at Many Glacier campground. At the beginning of the road in from Babb there is a house on the right side of the road with a little firewood self-serve thing set out by the road. It's the honor system...you put $5 (I think) in the box for every bundle you take. I like supporting the locals and the wood always burns very well. There has always been wood available every time we've been to the park so we never even look anywhere else.
Finalshot

Post by Finalshot »

Keep in mind if you have firewood, even if you've purchased it, and you dont burn it all, and you plan to check out waterton, leave the wood in camp, they wont let it into canada. . .
twohappykampers

Don't know what the situation is now in Canada, but a number of years ago when we went to different provincial parks north of Glacier, we were able to buy a permit to burn wood, which they provided and we could use as much as we wanted for the price in any of their parks, & rest stops, for that permit, within a 24 hour period of time. At that time the permit was two dollars. At that point in time, for about the same price as it cost to camp in Glacier, we found that Canada's parks provided wood and hot showers in their provincial park campgrounds. Pretty good deal.
Ken & Mary Ann
Tere
Donator
Donator

Post by Tere »

[quote][/quote]
Regarding Canada - there is a gianormous sign just past the Canadian border as you are heading to Cardston that advises NO USA WOOD. As I remember it and I think I took a pix of it because I tend to take pix of signs alone the way, it has to do with a insects and diseases that hitchhike on the wood and have the potential to distroy forests.
Tere
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

People should burn only organic firewood.

Lyman

Return to “Camping”