Yale University Study on BPA

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Yale University Study on BPA

Post by Ear Mountain »

There is another thread covering this but it got off topic with a variety of subjects added so I thought I'd create a new thread.

Yale University has recently released a study where the effects of bisphenol A, or BPA was examined in monkeys. According to an article in the Washington Post (see Link below) the amount of BPA given to the monkeys approximated that which a human would get and which are presently deemed safe for humans by the EPA. The study found that the chemical [BPA] interfered with brain cell connections vital to memory, learning and mood in monkeys.

It also includes a quote from the National Toxicology Program where they "...have concluded that the possibility that BPA may affect human development cannot be dismissed."

I suggest reading this article and adding that information to your decision making process about using containers containing BPA.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... ailarticle

I personally have tried to remove as much of my exposure to BPA as possible. There was specific concern over Nalgene containers in the original thread. ALmost all companies making plastic containers for human use have now reformulated products to be BPA free. Fortunately all Platypus bottles, which I use all the time, have always been BPA free.Camelbak is now advertising BPA free reservoirs as well.

The original thread is here:
http://glacierparkchat.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =14&t=2005
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”