How do you measure the correct height of your hiking poles?

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

bstritesky
Please add the numbers(11): 0

How do you measure the correct height of your hiking poles?

Post by bstritesky »

Hey all! We just got some black diamond trekking poles for our Glacier Trip coming up the next two weeks. We want to know what is the optimal height of the trekking pole ergonomically speaking. I once heard you measure it by whether or not it fits comfortably under your armpit, but that seems a little too high. Any help for this first-timer? Thanks.
kklein
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: How do you measure the correct height of your hiking poles?

Post by kklein »

bstritesky wrote:Hey all! We just got some black diamond trekking poles for our Glacier Trip coming up the next two weeks. We want to know what is the optimal height of the trekking pole ergonomically speaking. I once heard you measure it by whether or not it fits comfortably under your armpit, but that seems a little too high. Any help for this first-timer? Thanks.
A good rule of thumb to start is to adjust the length so that when the pole tips are touching the ground slightly in front of you your elbow is bent at a 90 degree angle. Then make changes from there. You may find it helpful to lengthen the pole when hiking downhill and to shorten it for hiking uphill.

More important than length is to learn how to properly use the straps. Most of your weight should be borne by the straps, not by your grip on the pole. If you have aching hands at the end of the day, you aren't using the pole straps properly.
----------------
Kevin Klein
Bear Fan in Packerland
sj in cal
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by sj in cal »

I don't understand the use of straps as you mention. I took mine off because they were annoying. Coming downhill, I "palm" the end of my poles and that seems to work well.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

The straps allow you to push on the pole without having to grip the pole in your hand. A pole without straps has probably lost 80% of its value when going uphill. I too palm the poles when going downhill but still keep the straps on my hand. Again when I need the pole for support I don't have to grip the handle to use it.

Having a pole long enough to reach into your armpit is great for cross country skiing but that length is way too long for trekking. Kklein's "rule of thumb" is a good place to start then adjust to taste.

Remember when going uphill the tip of the pole will be behind you and you push on the strap with your hand and do not grip the handle of the pole. On downhills the tip will be more in front of you so you can weight the pole before bringing you foot down so as to take some of the force off the leg. My Leki poles came with very good instructions for use, length and strap adjustment.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
sj in cal

Post by sj in cal »

I'm slow today (probably everyday), but I can't visualize using the straps as you describe. Photo anyone?
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Here are a few photos of folks using trekking poles on uphill sections of trail. When used in this way the poles can either reduce the amount of effort required by the legs or, with the same leg effort, increase the speed of travel up the trail.

In the third photo you might notice Ron's left hand and how the strap comes from the pole under the palm of the hand and back around the wrist. To achieve this grip bring your whole hand up from under the grip through the strap and then lightly grasp the pole. When used in this fashion it is not necessary to grip the pole with your hand. Instead the strap absorbs most of the effort while you grasp the pole lightly with your thumb and first finger mainly to maintain control of the pole. Notice in Ron's right hand how relaxed the grip of the pole is.

If you do not have or use the straps you must grab the pole with enough effort to prevent it's slipping during the push and recovery phases. This requires a lot of extra unnecessary work by the hand.

As a pole is planted the upper body and arm can be used to apply a force on the strap. The arm the swings down and back in sort of a pendulum fashion and the force applied helps propel the hiker forward and up the trail. Very experienced users can also include a slight crunch with the upper body using abdominal muscles to increase the force on the pole. A small amount of shoulder rotation (second photo) can help as well.

Every hiker can benefit from this type of use on uphill sections of trail even with only a small force applied to the pole. Remember using the pole reduces the work required from the legs!
Image Image Image

I'll try to find some pole use during downhill as well.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Another benefit from trekking poles use comes when using the pole on steps. Many of Glaciers trails have places where the hiker is required to step up rather than walk an incline. The pole can be used more in front of the body there to help push the higker up again reducing the effort required by the leg. Not sure if I have a photo of this type of use but if I find one I'll post it.

Again using the straps as I describe in my previous post helps accomplish the push while minimizing the work of the smaller muscles in the hand. As a result it;s the larger muscles in the arm and should that do the work here. And again if you can learn to add some "crunch" you begin to apply force with even larger muscles making for much less effort required from the legs.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Here's one shot of trekking poles on a downhill, slight as it is. The poles are used out in front to take load and shock off the legs (knees).

Rhonda, out in front, is not using her strap effectively. Actually not at all. While Jen and Ron have the pole strap properly around their wrists. Again this allows the load from the poles to be transferred to the arms in a more efficient manner and alleviates the need to "grip" the pole with the hand. A light and friendly grip is all that is required.
sj in cal

Post by sj in cal »

Thanks! Although I've never had a problem with my hands, I'll give it a try.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”