Mountain Lion Closing (not current)

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Mountain Lion Closing (not current)

Post by llholmes1948 »

When I was at the Apgar Visitors Center around July 18 I recall seeing a posting that one of the campgrounds in the North Fork was closed due to a mountain lion. I think it was Upper Kintla campground but I am not sure. I don't know how long the closing lasted.

If I recall correctly, trail and campground closings due to mountain lions aren't very common in the Park. I think the Numa Ridge trail was closed a few years ago when the trail crew was menaced by a mountain lion.

Lyman
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Re: Mountain Lion Closing (not current)

Post by Heff936 »

On our last trip that ended in the North Fork, Miss G. and I and the rest of the camp at UPK were greeted to an strange and spooky "screaming" from across the lake. Some park employees were staying at the camp that night. We discussed the sound and everyone seemed to agree that it was mountain lion, probably a female in heat. It was a cool sound to hear in the backcountry, especially since it came from across the lake. I'd love to know what the lion did to result in a campground closing.

Thanks for sharing.

Heff
In Vino Veritas, In Cerevisia Felicitas
In Wine Truth, In Beer Happiness
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Re: Mountain Lion Closing (not current)

Post by llholmes1948 »

Heff936 wrote:On our last trip that ended in the North Fork, Miss G. and I and the rest of the camp at UPK were greeted to an strange and spooky "screaming" from across the lake. Some park employees were staying at the camp that night. We discussed the sound and everyone seemed to agree that it was mountain lion, probably a female in heat. It was a cool sound to hear in the backcountry, especially since it came from across the lake. I'd love to know what the lion did to result in a campground closing.
Heff,

Perhaps one of the Park Service people on the chat, or someone who knows some of the backcountry staff, can provide some further information about this closing. It seems to me that the notice said something about a mountain lion frequenting the campground. I intended to ask about it at the Visitor's Center but forgot.

Given the mountain lion attack on a young boy in the main Avalanche Lake campground years ago and the ensuing lawsuit, I imagine the park service tries to be quite careful about mountain lions.

I have heard a bobcat sceaming in Maine once or twice and it is an amazing sound. I can imagine that a mountain lion, being a much larger animal, would even have a more impressive scream. You and Miss G were quite lucky to be there to hear it.

Lyman

Return to “Camping”