Water and critters at north circle back country sites

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

wfhoffmaniii

Water and critters at north circle back country sites

Post by wfhoffmaniii »

I'm looking for some information about the back country sites we are visiting this summer. Our route has us going ELF, GLF, STO, FIF, and GRN. Water at ELF, GLF and STO shouldn't be a problem since these campsites are on or near lakes. It looks like there are streams near FIF and GRN but I would like to confirm that is correct. Yes?

Critters.... FIF especially has been mentioned several times as having nuisance critters of several kinds that will go after your gear. Should I expect this at any of the back country sites? What is the solution? I don't see how I'm going to fit a backpack and sleepers into our tents. One suggestion I read about here is hanging the backpacks. Are they hung on some random tree or on the bear bag line with the bear bags? What is the collective wisdom on avoiding chewed and or slobbered gear?

Thanks for your help. This group has been invaluable helping me get ready for our hike this summer.

Bill Hoffman
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Water and critters at north circle back country sites

Post by Ear Mountain »

wfhoffmaniii wrote:I'm looking for some information about the back country sites we are visiting this summer. Our route has us going ELF, GLF, STO, FIF, and GRN. Water at ELF, GLF and STO shouldn't be a problem since these campsites are on or near lakes. It looks like there are streams near FIF and GRN but I would like to confirm that is correct. Yes?

Critters.... FIF especially has been mentioned several times as having nuisance critters of several kinds that will go after your gear. Should I expect this at any of the back country sites? What is the solution? I don't see how I'm going to fit a backpack and sleepers into our tents. One suggestion I read about here is hanging the backpacks. Are they hung on some random tree or on the bear bag line with the bear bags? What is the collective wisdom on avoiding chewed and or slobbered gear?

Thanks for your help. This group has been invaluable helping me get ready for our hike this summer.

Bill Hoffman
1. There will be water at or near every campsite. There is a stream at Fifty Mtn. Plan to treat or filter to avoid giardia and other problems. Sometimes the water is churned up by waves on lake shores. In those cases I often filter water from a stream somewhere.

2. All campsites should be considered for the potential of nuisance animals. You are required to hang all food, cooking material, cosmetics, toiletries, toothpaste and brush, and anything else that may contain odors (like clothing you wore while cooking food) on the bear pole or bear wire. I hang trekking poles in a tree high enough that the handles are out of reach of marauding deer. I keep my backpack in the tent. If you do not have room for a pack in the tent you might consider a larger tent or you should hang the pack on the bear wire. Hanging it out of reach in a tree might also work. Never leave unattended stuff lying around your camp, especially socks, boots, clothing etc. If you need to dry or air out these items hang them up high enough so deer cannot reach them and be near them at all times.

3. Never urinate on the ground anywhere in or near the campsite as this leads to problems with marauding deer and other critters. Always use the pit toilet no matter how long the walk from your tent. If that bothers you choose the campsite nearest the toilet.

4. Grizzlies frequent the meadows near Fifty Mountain. Don't roam about those meadows at night.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
sj in cal

Post by sj in cal »

Yes, there are small streams at Fifty Mountain and Granite Park. You should be okay through mid August at least and usually much later. Check at the backcountry permit office when you get your permit. There is also a filtered supply used by Granite Park Chalet, thats an option if you walk up the trail further.

Heading north between FIF and GRN, there are large streams at Cattle Queen and Ahern Pass, but water after that can be skimpy.

The deer, especially at FIF are tenacious. I left my pack alone for 2 minutes and got slobbered. I've also been had at STO and GRN. The solution? leave nothing out during the day...everything in the tent. At night, I hung my pack from a burnt tree, deer proof but not bear proof. FIF has bear boxes, with no room for packs. STO has poles, if there not too full you could run up a pack. Although many people sleep with their backpacks, I never do, just over cautious
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Heading [SOUTH] between FIF and GRN, there are large streams at Cattle Queen and Ahern Pass, but water after that can be skimpy.

Good point about the boxes at Fifty. They we not there yet the last time I was there. I'll check them out this August when I camp there.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
sj in cal

Post by sj in cal »

Ear Mountain wrote:Heading [SOUTH] between FIF and GRN, there are large streams at Cattle Queen and Ahern Pass, but water after that can be skimpy.

Good point about the boxes at Fifty. They we not there yet the last time I was there. I'll check them out this August when I camp there.
Oops!

Return to “Camping”