Another campground strategy question

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

otterific

Another campground strategy question

Post by otterific »

I've been getting a lot of great info from this site. My family and I are "regulars" in Yellowstone National Park every year, but
this year will be our first visit to Glacier. We are tavelling in a 28ft motor home, towing a Ford Focus.
We will be arriving late in the day on Saturday, June 28th, so I've made reservations at the St Mary's KOA for that night. We want to relocate to a campground in the park on Sunday morning. What are the chances of getting a campsite that will accomodate our motorhome with car at Many Glacier campground on a Sunday morning?
I thought of making reservations at Fish Creek for our stay (and just come in on the west side altogether), just to be sure to have a spot, but we have two boat tours planned with guided hikes - one in the Many Glacier area, the other on St Mary Lake. From everything I've read here about St Mary's campground in the park, I don't think I'd want to stay there.

I personally don't think I'd mind driving the Going to the Sun Road several times (more time and opportunity to take in the views), but I don't know what the drive times are, and I read on the GNP website that the road will be having some delays due to upgrades being done.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Is it a crazy idea to stay on the west side and have most of our activities on the east side? My main concern is securing a camping spot.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Another campground strategy question

Post by Hockey Ref »

The Many Glacier campground is perhaps the most popular one in the park, and one of the largest. It usually fills up pretty quickly each day -- by mid- to late morning -- during the height of the season. However, your late June date might give you some extra time as it's not quite the "high season" yet.

Keep in mind that there are only 13 sites that will accommodate vehicles up to 35 feet. That would include your RV and the towed car.

The link below takes you to Glacier's campground status page. It provides information on each campground, including the times each one filled up the previous day. Check the site in the days before you arrive to see the times for the campgrounds you're interested in.

http://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/c ... status.cfm
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."

Return to “Camping”