car parking for backcountry trip

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

ysato
Please add the numbers(11): 0

car parking for backcountry trip

Post by ysato »

Hi,

Where do you recommend to
park a car during backcountry nights?
sj in cal
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: car parking for backcountry trip

Post by sj in cal »

What are your entry and exit points? It all depends, but it shouldn't be a problem
ysato

Post by ysato »

sj in cal wrote:What are your entry and exit points? It all depends, but it shouldn't be a problem
Are there any problems about overnight parking at every space? (ex. Logan Pass)
National park rule or so?
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

You have posted your permit information in another section indicating that you will be camping, as I recall, at Gunsight Lake and at Lake Ellen Wilson so I assume that is what you are asking about.

You can park your car at the trailhead near the Jackson Glacier Overlook on the Sun Road on the east side. Or you can park it in the parking lot at Lake McDonald Lodge on the west side.

With the Park shuttles operating, I would suggest that you park your car at Lake McDonald Lodge, take the west side shuttle to Logan Pass, catch the east side Park shuttle from there to the trailhead. In that way your car will be waiting for you when you finish the trail providing that you intend to hike all the way through.

Hope you have a great trip and these are great places to camp (although I understand there are nuisance deer at Gunsight now).
When camping at Gunsight be sure to check out the side trail toward Jackson Glacier.

Lyman
dorf

Post by dorf »

If I were you I'd park at Lake McDonald Lodge and take the free shuttle up to Logan Pass, then transfer to the east-bound shuttle which will take you right to your trailhead.

and yeah, the deer have been pesky at GUN since at least 2005
So many mountains, so little time.
ysato

Post by ysato »

Thank you, Lyman, dorf :)

Yes. The entry point is JACKSON GLACIER OVERLOOK.
I thought overnight parking might be prohibited.
And I have not decided to exit whether to Lake McDonald Lodge or to Logan Pass through Floral Park, yet. :?
So, Logan Pass is one of thinking.

I will park at one of them. :D
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Years ago (like 38 years ago!) I recall that I enjoyed the side trip to Florence Falls, which as I recall was a loud and impressive waterfall.
I have heard some on the Chat say discouraging words about this side hike, that it is overgrown and not that great. Maybe you will have to find out for yourself.

Dorf,
Have nuisance deer arrived at Lake Ellen Wilson, or is that place still free of them? We didn't encounter any there years ago.

Thanks,
Lyman
Rose
Donator
Donator

Post by Rose »

Welcome to the page Ysato!

While I am not a camper, I believe I have read in another thread on the chat page that overnight parking is not permitted at Logan Pass. Even if you decide to exit at Logan Pass, you would need to have your car at another destination and then take the free shuttle. I think I would opt for Lake McDonald, just because there is more room.

Enjoy your trip.
~Dreams Often Become Realities~
dorf

Post by dorf »

Didn't see any deer at ELL last summer.
So many mountains, so little time.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Rose wrote: While I am not a camper, I believe I have read in another thread on the chat page that overnight parking is not permitted at Logan Pass.
I might be wrong but I don't recall that it is illegal to park overnight at Logan Pass but I assume the Park Service probably discourages it because of the great daytime parking pressure at that location. With the free Park shuttles it would seem that overnight parking there would not be necessary in many instances.

Maybe someone can clarify this issue.

Dorf,
I am glad to hear that nuisance deer have not invaded Lake Ellen Wilson.

Lyman
Kathy
Donator
Donator

Post by Kathy »

llholmes1948 wrote:Years ago (like 38 years ago!) I recall that I enjoyed the side trip to Florence Falls, which as I recall was a loud and impressive waterfall.
I have heard some on the Chat say discouraging words about this side hike, that it is overgrown and not that great.
I LOVE Florence Falls! I agree with Lyman....VERY impressive falls! (I bet I may have a picture around here somewhere.....I'll have to see if I can dig it up, as it's been 'bout 3 or 4 years.) I've hiked back there twice...once in 2001, and then again in, I think it was '04 or '05. And yes, although the trail itself is overgrown and nothing to write home about.....I thought the falls were spectacular! And it's such a short jaunt off the main trail, if you have the time, I'd say go check it out.....and that's my 2 cents. :D
"You never really leave a place you love....part of it you take with you, leaving a part of yourself behind."
So....Live well. - Laugh often. - Love much.----And get to Glacier as often as you can!
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Kathy wrote:I LOVE Florence Falls! I agree with Lyman....VERY impressive falls!
I am glad that Florence Falls has at least one other fan. It is about my favorite in the Park.

Obviously great minds think alike.

Lyman
Rose
Donator
Donator

Post by Rose »

Ah Lyman, you are correct. My brain was thinking about "sleeping" in the car at Logan Pass. I found the post and someone said that the rangers check the cars for people who are sleeping in cars, which is not allowed. My bad! :oops:
~Dreams Often Become Realities~
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

As far as I know, and I have never found out otherwise, as long as the car is parked legally, you can park in any of the parking areas overnight(s) with no problem, but you cannot park over night with any bodies in the vehicle! :shock: but again, as far as I know, you can park virtually anywhere it is allowed..

Dave
ysato

Post by ysato »

Thanks, everyone ! :D

Return to “Camping”