Gunsight pass trail - where to spend two nights in Sept.

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

peleebird
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Gunsight pass trail - where to spend two nights in Sept.

Post by peleebird »

We are going to extend our available time into Sept. to try to up our chances of getting on this trail. I see the one night limit is off in Sept. - should we try to book two nights in any of the campsites?
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Re: Gunsight pass trail - where to spend two nights in Sept.

Post by llholmes1948 »

I think Lake Ellen Wilson is a beautiful place to camp on this trail. Gunsight Lake would be a second choice. Sperry campground would be convenient for hiking to the Glacier but its location is not particularly scenic.

Lyman
dorf

Post by dorf »

I'd do the whole thing spending nights @ GUN and SPE. You can get to Gunsight in 2.5 hours, set up camp then hike/scramble up to the Glaciers (Blackfoot and Jackson) before coming back for dinner. Once at Sperry you could jog up Lincoln Peak and tackle Sperry Glacier/Comeau Pass the next morning before heading down to Lake McDonald. Get an early start and you should be back to the chalet by lunch time. From there it's only 6 miles and all downhill.
So many mountains, so little time.
peleebird

Post by peleebird »

:) thanks for your suggestions. Have to admit we don't move very fast even on day trips and this will be our fourth backpacking trip anywhere. We pack heavy and wonder if we have enough. We can always hope we get lucky with the lottery this year. Love this forum.

:arrow:

Return to “Camping”