Chewing Blackbones RV Park & Campground

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

zoozoo

Chewing Blackbones RV Park & Campground

Post by zoozoo »

Has anyone heard of or stayed at this campground in St. Mary? It's located on the east shore of St. Mary's lake, six miles north of St. Mary. I can't find any pictures of the campground, but it sounds like a nice place to stay.
July Guy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by July Guy »

We've never stayed, just visited and scouted out the place. They take reservations...have showers. Some very nice sites right on the water (12, 17, 18, 19). Judging by the looks of the trees, you could see some high winds there. Good location though.

http://www.visitmt.com/categories/morei ... 4&SiteId=1
zoozoo

Post by zoozoo »

July Guy, that's the site where I found the campground info. If you don't mind my asking, why didn't you stay there?
Jay w
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Jay w »

As far as I can tell by driving through there, the place has been abandoned. The buildings have broken windows. I believe no one is collecting any fees, but over July 4th weekend there was a new sign saying something like $10 for camping.

We stopped there in July, and as I picked up a three prong fish hook off the ground, a guy told us the following. (I'm not sure if any of it was true, but I have no reason to doubt it.) The government built Chewing Blackbones and turned it over to the locals, but no one maintained the site or collected money. Now a white man from St. Mary wants to take over the campground, bring it back, (which he thought was a good idea) since this guy has a reputation for being successful and he would probably hire locals.

I would guess you could stay there for free (except July 4th weekend), but I would not expect running water or restrooms, but things may be changing.

Jay
July Guy
Donator
Donator

Post by July Guy »

Jay

that is interesting. my info is from 2006 when we drove through just to check it out. The store was open at that time. "what a difference a year makes" i guess..thanks for the more current report.

zoozoo

we were already staying somewhere else. just wanted to check it out for the future. you might want to just call them to check the status.

JG
zoozoo

Post by zoozoo »

I think I've heard enough to know I don't want to chance the place. We'll look more at a couple of other places on the east side. Thanks for the info.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Re: Chewing Blackbones RV Park & Campground

Post by llholmes1948 »

Here is sort of an update in this weeks Glacier Reporter:

http://www.goldentrianglenews.com/artic ... /news7.txt

Return to “Camping”