2024 Lottery Results

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

What's your date?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:34 pm

Week of March 21
20%
Week of March 28
10%
Week of April 4
10%
Week of April 11
10%
Week of April 18
5%
Week of April 25
10%
Unsuccessful
35%

Total votes: 20

sbosecker
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: 2024 Lottery Results

Post by sbosecker »

paul wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:40 pm Which forces out other 3 other applicants in the early permit process.
So let's say that scenario happens... 4 members of a party all won a slot in the lottery. Assuming the member of the 4 that had the earliest time slot would pick an itinerary, what happens to the other 3. Could they get itinerarys and then "scalp" them? ...or is there something that prevents that from happening? Can itinearies be "given" to another party? I would think not... for reasons that should be pretty clear right now.

Best regards,

Scott
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by zozeppelin »

Orin, yes can’t have your cake and eat it too! While I missed out on the easy option, I had an advantage last year with accessibility, fast internet, knowing what I wanted, etc. This way is more fair, similar to the original process, and hopefully some people who were unable to succeed in a free-for-all were able to this time (thinking people with jobs that can’t afford time away, students in class, people traveling, people without home internet, people unfamiliar with the process, etc). That said, I’m still optimistic I’ll be able to scoop something up- leftovers, cancelation, walk-in or combination thereof.

Paul, I agree there is something strange going on compared to past trends. I probably should stop speculating after my flop on permit applications, but where is the fun in that.

Perhaps easy access (don’t need to fill out itineraries) had something to do with it. I think I captured my thoughts in the other thread about why it shouldn’t be as bad this year. I suspect like you mention that there are multiple applications going in, and in this case they won’t all be filled (as compared to previous process rangers would have no clue). Also people change their minds, don’t like the remaining options ( dates and/or camps) when their turn comes up, or pick not ideal options as they didn’t know any better. They also displaced people who legitimately want a reservation, which may or may not be looking again May 1st. Hopefully the higher fee with ‘pay for campers upfront’ encourages people to not frivolously book and cancel for refund if not going to use

This will be fun to track.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

sbosecker wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:30 pm
paul wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:40 pm Which forces out other 3 other applicants in the early permit process.
So let's say that scenario happens... 4 members of a party all won a slot in the lottery. Assuming the member of the 4 that had the earliest time slot would pick an itinerary, what happens to the other 3. Could they get itinerarys and then "scalp" them? ...or is there something that prevents that from happening? Can itinearies be "given" to another party? I would think not... for reasons that should be pretty clear right now.

Best regards,

Scott
I don't think there will much scalping going on. I think most backpackers aren't really interested in that sort of thing. I think some the people accepted will not get permits because some one in their group already got a permit with better options, some will get them and use them for another trip, and some will get them and transfer them to friends. You can transfer permits by calling up the BC office. I've done that myself.

Paul
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
Sue Z
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Sue Z »

I don't think there will much scalping going on. I think most backpackers aren't really interested in that sort of thing. I think some the people accepted will not get permits because some one in their group already got a permit with better options, some will get them and use them for another trip, and some will get them and transfer them to friends. You can transfer permits by calling up the BC office. I've done that myself.

Paul
I didn't know that you could transfer a reservation! I thought that if the person whose name is on the res couldn't go, you had to forfeit the group reservation.
Sue Z
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Sue Z wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:26 am

Paul
I didn't know that you could transfer a reservation! I thought that if the person whose name is on the res couldn't go, you had to forfeit the group reservation.
I had a permit reservation under an older system but due to illness wasn't able to do the trip. I was able to transfer the trip to another member of the party whose name was already on the reservation.

If I recall correctly last year you could name an alternate Trip Leader on the reservation . The alternate could pick up the permit and/or make online modifications. The alternate had to be identified at the time of first making the reservation and could not be added later.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Years ago (maybe 6) I was able to transfer a permit to someone not on the permit. All I did was call the backcountry office and give them the details (phone number, email, name and address) of the person I wanted to transfer it to. I'm not sure if things have changed since then.
sbosecker
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by sbosecker »

paul wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:05 am I don't think there will much scalping going on. I think most backpackers aren't really interested in that sort of thing...

Paul
Paul,

I suspect at least some Backpackers would be interested if there was a "clearing house" for unused intineraries. Stubhub is an example of a similar concept.

I smell opportunity! zoezeppelin (and perhaps others) is probably already working on it. HA!

Best regards,

Scott
Last edited by sbosecker on Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

sbosecker wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:30 am
Paul,

I suspect at least some Backpackers would be interested if there was a "clearing house" for unused intineraries. Stubhubis an example of a similar concept.

I smell opportunity! zoezeppelin (and perhaps others) is probably already working on it. HA!

Best regards,

Scott
Hah, thinking on it, from the perspective of what to look out for. I also don’t suspect much demand (or at least lucrative opportunity). That said, it is unfortunate it went over the limit (beyond the obvious reason) as that will just drive more multiple applications next year.

What I would do is sell a permit slot (if before time) or itinerary (if already booked) on eBay or the like. If before, then would need to have it booked with a dummy account that could be given away. If after, then arrange for a time where a quick cancel/buy can be performed, which is clean and skirts any human interaction with the park.

Turning towards productive thoughts, one I had was the ability for chatters to add their upcoming (and past) hikes to a list. Initial thought was to give visibility to opportunity to cross paths for a hike or beer or whatever. But thinking further on it, could also be a bulletin board for 3rd wheels where there is space on a permit. Also key swaps, but that would seem unlikely given the number of active users, but who knows.
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

zozeppelin wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:57 am Turning towards productive thoughts, one I had was the ability for chatters to add their upcoming (and past) hikes to a list. Initial thought was to give visibility to opportunity to cross paths for a hike or beer or whatever. But thinking further on it, could also be a bulletin board for 3rd wheels where there is space on a permit. Also key swaps, but that would seem unlikely given the number of active users, but who knows.
Did the Trip Dates forum category posts used to get erased each year when it's category name got reset to whatever the current year was? Reason I ask is I feel like Trip Dates, or something like it, was where we used to check for who was going to be in the park and when to see about trading rides and such in the past, but there's nothing in there before 2020 now I think. Perhaps it was a different category...Not sure now. Anyway, I know that was how we've met some of our best friends and we only see them once a year or so, and sometimes less often, but they are still our best friends. :thumbs_up:

I think any added functionality to that end would be great. I added "Trip Dates/Chatter xRef" to the whiteboard at home so it doesn't get dropped. I'd be happy to work with you on that one among other things.

Thanks!
Cheers!
Kyle…

Edit: oh and regarding users, yea, it’s definitely down from a number of years ago, but I believe it has been slowly climbing in say the last 10 months or so, so that’s great to see. 👍
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Did the Trip Dates forum category posts used to get erased each year when it's category name got reset to whatever the current year was?

I recall it working this way. And I believe the forum was only viewable if you were logged in as a user.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

I think they just assign a group of people a day and it starts at 7am MDT.

From what I’m reading, the awarded times seem to be every 2 hours throughout the day, every day of the week. Starting at 7:00 am and until at least 3:00 pm.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

teapot57 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:49 am
I think they just assign a group of people a day and it starts at 7am MDT.

From what I’m reading, the awarded times seem to be every 2 hours throughout the day, every day of the week. Starting at 7:00 am and until at least 3:00 pm.
My start time is 3:00 pm.

If two hour blocks are allocated starting at 7 with the last block starting at 3 that provides 5 time slots per day.
5/day ; 42 days of openings; 3,000 lottery winners.
3000 permits/ 42 days/ 5 slots a day = approximately 15 permits per time slot.
I corrected my earlier math problem.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

teapot57 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:44 am
Did the Trip Dates forum category posts used to get erased each year when it's category name got reset to whatever the current year was?
I recall it working this way. And I believe the forum was only viewable if you were logged in as a user.
Ahh.... Right on.... Thanks T. Trip Dates should be back to visible for registered users only. I probably reset some settings accidentally when I was cleaning some things up early on. That was my fault. If you notice anything else a little off, give me a shout.

Thanks!
Cheers!
Kyle...
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

I think your math is wrong. It should be around 15 per time shot.
3000 permits/ 40 days/ 5 slots a day =15
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

So it looks like they’ve locked out viewing availability unless you had a successful lottery application. Not sure if that also includes if you check before your scheduled time.

Working on a solution.

Return to “Backcountry Permits”