Lost post content poll

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Have you ever lost the content of a post you were about to submit?

Yes!!!
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 6

FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Lost post content poll

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Have you ever lost everything you typed in on a post before it was submitted either because of a session timeout or your browser crashed or for any other reason and had to type it all in again? Perhaps on a long trip report? :cant_watch: Ouch!

I know I have... I'm curious if it's a widespread problem or if it's just me... See poll above. :thumbs_up:

It may warrant finding a possible solution if it's happened to more than a couple of people....Just curious...

Thanks gang!

Cheers!
Kyle...
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: Lost post content poll

Post by Selkie »

Thanks for doing this, Kyle. The ongoing improvements in site functionality and options continue to amaze me.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

I voted no, but ‘before Kyle era’ (BKE) I do recall many posts being lost to the ether. It seemed like a sever failed to replicate then switched over. Haven’t seen that KE. Echo the thanks to Kyle over all the housekeeping and improvements going on behind the scenes.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Occasionally when I try to respond to a post it fails with one of those robot detector violations "The solution you provided was incorrect". If I retry it continues to the fail. I usually have to logout and log back in to get it to work again. I've been meaning to ask you about it since it's kind of frustrating. In fact it just happened when I tried to reply to the post.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

A couple of times recently, I have hit 'Preview' on a post I was working on, and lost everything. I'm not sure what message I got - but it seemed like it couldn't load the site temporarily. I try to remember to copy before I preview (of course, every time I remember to do this the site works perfectly).
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Thanks everybody!
paul wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:40 am Occasionally when I try to respond to a post it fails with one of those robot detector violations "The solution you provided was incorrect".
Hey Paul.... Thanks for the heads up on that. I will do some looking into that. I hadn't seen that error since one of the phpBB developers gave us a patch for something similar a few months ago. I will try and recreate it if I can and see what's going on there. If by chance you can think of any repeatable scenario that might be related to causing the bug, feel free to send the info my way, even if it doesn't makes sense. It may still be helpful.
Any chance it happens after being on the same post editing page for over an hour? It may not be that, but I'm wondering if it might be related to an expired session perhaps. Either way, I'll try and recreate it to see what we can do about it as those kinds of things are no fun... Thanks again for pointing that one out.
al_in_al wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:28 am A couple of times recently, I have hit 'Preview' on a post I was working on, and lost everything. I'm not sure what message I got - but it seemed like it couldn't load the site temporarily. I try to remember to copy before I preview (of course, every time I remember to do this the site works perfectly).
Hey al_in_al... Thanks for mentioning this one as well. This sounds interesting. I'll do some looking into this one as well. That's interesting that the site may not have been able to load for a bit perhaps. I have noticed it's memory usage has been creeping up quite a been recently but I haven't personally witnessed any issues so I've been letting it slide. I wonder if this could be related to that. If you see it again, feel free to send me a screenshot or let me know what message you see when that happens. In the meantime, I will see about scheduling some service restarts or a possible reboot late tonight around 2:00 am central. (I'll have to double check as I think the weekly backups might be scheduled tonight, so I'll need to work around that a little bit) In the back of my mind, I'm wondering if it might need an increase in memory, but we'll see how it's doing after some service restarts and go from there... Thanks for mentioning this one... (also, all those trip reports you are putting out. WOW! Nice work! :thumbs_up: That had to be one heck of a summer!!)

On a more general note, I did find a phpBB Extension that I just added that might help minimize the loss of what's being typed. It won't fix any issues, but might at least help to not lose what was typed if there was an issue. It looks like the idea is that when typing, say every 5-10 seconds or so, it can store what's in the text box into the browsers "local storage" so it's uncoupled from the server then in that sense so if anything goes wrong (even if your browser tab closes or crashes altogether), you go back to the page you were on, and it should load what you had previously typed and pick up from there. It wont store attachments, but it seems like a good start. I'm still kind of testing it out, but it does appear to be working to some degree, so hopefully it will be somewhat helpful.

Thanks again everybody! We'll keep fixing things, and eventually, we'll be rock solid! :thumbs_up:
Cheers to good hikes! :boots: :mountain: :camp:

Thanks!
Kyle...
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

"The solution you provided was incorrect"

This happens to me quite a bit as well. But I can't reproduce a list of steps that reliably invokes it. I do keep my browser locked down pretty tightly so I've just assumed that was probably the cause.
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

orin wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:53 pm "The solution you provided was incorrect"
paul wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:40 am "The solution you provided was incorrect".
Hey Paul and Orin.... Regarding the "The Solution you provided was incorrect" error, do you ever notice if this reCaptcha image is there or not there in the lower right hand corner of the screen while editing a post that is successful, and also one that errors by chance? Ideally it should always be there while editing a post and disappear when just browsing around.
Screen Shot 2024-02-14 at 6.58.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-14 at 6.58.19 PM.png (12.25 KiB) Viewed 901 times

Would you guys be able to tell me what browser you use? I'm currently testing in Firefox and Chrome at the moment, and so far not getting it to happen. I'll keep at it, but it might take a bit to piece this one together. Feel free to PM me any info you may have if you'd prefer that over posting... Either is ok for me....

Thanks guys....

Kyle...
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

Of course everything is working fine now (Safari).

I use Firefox most of the time on the laptop although I have had the same message on Safari. And I use Safari on the mobile.
I do see the reCaptcha icon but not quite sure if it is always there.
When I do get the message I can neither post nor send a PM.
Sometimes simply hitting the Preview button a second time seems to work but not always.
I'll try to keep better notes if it happens again.
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Thanks Orin.... No worries... I'm confident we'll eventually figure out what's going on there, though it might take a little while to track it down.

I did reboot the server tonight. That did seem to reset the memory usage quite a bit which is good, so hopefully that may help with the problem al_in_al saw occasionally. I'm not sure the reCaptcha issue would be related to that, but it sure shouldn't hurt.

Thanks gang!
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

I generally use firefox but also use chrome. It might be caused by hitting the thank button first and then posting a replay on the same thread.

OK, it definitely happens when I do that. :) because it just did!
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

This is the message I get when I hit 'Preview' and lose everything:
This site can’t be reached
Check if there is a typo in glacier.nationalparkschat.com.
If spelling is correct, try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Oh my! Thanks for that! Did that just happen? I’m wondering if that’s pre or post server reboot from the other day.

Thanks al_in_al!

Kyle.
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

FuzzySideDown wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:05 pm Oh my! Thanks for that! Did that just happen? I’m wondering if that’s pre or post server reboot from the other day.

Thanks al_in_al!

Kyle.
I've gotten the same message pre- and post- server reboot. (Yes, I posted right after it just happened this time.)
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Ok. Sounds good. Thanks for that. I’m reading up on that error to look at options. Just a couple other questions…..

1) Do you ever get that any time other than when you are posting?
2) Are you aware of any non-default browser settings you may have to try and make your browser more secure. No problem if you are unsure.

I’m going to try one thing on this end that I did for Paul and Orin and see if that helps you. It’s sounds like a slightly different issue, but if it’s only while posting, it may be related and might help you. I’ll PM you in a little bit.

Thanks!

Kyle.
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”