2024 Ticketed Entry

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

al_in_al
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: 2024 Ticketed Entry

Post by al_in_al »

paul wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:59 am I see your point, but there are other reasons why someone with a 3 day pass might not show up that they are there for 3 days. For instance if they come when there is no one at the gates. I've seen the gates not manned many times.
The vehicle reservation checkpoints are manned during the periods that vehicle reservations are required (generally 6am-3pm in 2023).

If you enter before or after the reservation period, no pass is needed. If you have a pass, it is unused if you don't enter during the reservation hours.

In your example, the next 2 days they are in the park, the pass is also unused because they are already staying at a lodge or campsite or chalet where they are already accounted for.
paul
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by paul »

al_in_al wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:04 pm
paul wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:59 am I see your point, but there are other reasons why someone with a 3 day pass might not show up that they are there for 3 days. For instance if they come when there is no one at the gates. I've seen the gates not manned many times.
The vehicle reservation checkpoints are manned during the periods that vehicle reservations are required (generally 6am-3pm in 2023).

If you enter before or after the reservation period, no pass is needed. If you have a pass, it is unused if you don't enter during the reservation hours.

In your example, the next 2 days they are in the park, the pass is also unused because they are already staying at a lodge or campsite or chalet where they are already accounted for.
That's not always true. I've have entered the park several times in the last couple of year where there was nobody there to check.

In my example they are not staying in the park at all but coming and going each day not necessarily when the gates are manned. The point I was trying to make was that they cancelled 3-day passes without really have good data on whether they were used.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Selkie »

Someone in the Comments to the Public Outreach for 2024 Visitor Use Management Strategy (on the NPS Glacier site) said that trying to get a vehicle pass for Going to the Sun Road was like trying to get a ticket to Taylor Swift concert.
:)
It is still being described as a "pilot program," but we know how that story ends.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor
Gender?: Male

Post by zozeppelin »

Reminder: ticketed entry reservations become available tomorrow (for May 24th) and continue on a 4 month rolling basis.

Return to “Road Information and Transportation”