Fishing

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

paul
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Fishing

Post by paul »

This year I plan to bring a fishing rod with me on my backpack trip. I'm not a very experienced fisherman but I think it would be fun to do some fishing while at various lakes on my route. My questions are what kind of lures do people use in glacier? What have people had success with in various lakes like Elisabeth lake, Cosley lake, and Glens lake? I heard fishing is good at Elisabeth lake. Are there any fish at Helen lake?

Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Re: Fishing

Post by FuzzySideDown »

I confess I was never much more than a carp and catfish fisherman in my younger days along Iowa rivers, yet I’m still secretly interested in following along with Paul’s thread here in possible hopes of one day spending time along a stream or lake again somewhere not really caring whether I actually caught anything as long as the outdoors is still outdoorsy for the day. Here’s to hoping there are some trout aficionados amongst us.

This is me watching from the sidelines. 😁👍🎣
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
VGplay

Post by VGplay »

I am not a fisherman myself unless it is for Northern Pike, but I can confirm Elizabeth Lake is worth fishing at. A family friend is a big fisherman and brought a pole to the Glacier backcountry a number of years ago. Elizabeth Lake was a destination for him and he was thrilled when he caught an Acrtic Grayling there.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Thanks for verifying that Elizabeth lake has good fishing. I thought I heard that before but wanted to see if anyone here had some opinions on it. I would be happy to catch and release a few trout.

Last year a couple of the guys I went camping with in the park were fishing along the way and so this year I figured I'd give it a go.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

My daughter and her husband did some fly fishing at Glacier on their trip in mid-July.

They tried Lake Ellen Wilson, both at the campground area and at the head of the lake near the waterfall. They saw some good fish but the fish weren't biting.

They rented a boat at Two Medicine but had no luck there.

They had great luck and Oldman Lake and also at the lake near Redrock Falls (which I assume is called Redrock Lake but I am not sure). At the latter location they said someone fishing with worms caught a large trout

They fly fished exclusively. They indicated that the owner of the Mountain Pine Motel in East Glacier is very knowledgeable about fishing in Glacier and gave them a lot of good advice.

Lyman
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

thanks for the update Lyman. I ended up not taking fishing gear with me on this trip. In the end I didn't want to over complicate things. I noticed fish jumping at Elizabeth lake and at one point at Cosley lake. No other lakes seemed to be very active. Although the wind was pretty severe during my trip and we didn't see much calm water.

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”