Ahern Drift current status?

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

smamedov
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Ahern Drift current status?

Post by smamedov »

Hi everyone, it's my friends and I's first trip to Glacier and we have wilderness permits for this weekend for the Highline Trail Backpack: Logan Pass -> Granite Park Campground -> Fifty Mountain Campground -> Flattop Campground -> The Loop. We just recently found out about Ahern Drift and that crampons and ice axes are necessary when the snow field is there. We were wondering what the current conditions are, and if both crampons and ice axes are really necessary or if it would be fine with just crampons and hiking poles? Also how long is the drift? We will be crossing Ahern Drift on July 2. Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by smamedov on Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor
Gender?: Male

Re: Ahern Pass/Drift current status?

Post by zozeppelin »

I refreshed the trail status last night in the thread directly below this one, so it should be close to current. It is currently showing fifty mountain only accessible from Goat Haunt direction, with both upper highline and flattop access in winter status. Upper highline has a projected clearance date of Aug 1st. Fifty Mountain has an advanced permit initial date of Aug 1st as well (flattop of July 15th) so I’m curious as to how you obtained the permit.

I suspect there will be other issues like this where the campsite may be available but Rec.gov isn’t able to discern whether the connecting trails would be passable (ignoring the current status). For instance, both GLH and KOO may be open and reservable in June, and while their connecting distance is within the 17 mile limit, they most certainly wouldn’t be connectable at that time (for non-mountaineering).

I also think there is an error with Rec.gov where they are showing walking availability currently for just about everywhere. Perhaps they are both really open, Rec.gov is showing availability and nps.gov isn’t showing closed, but I’m suspicious. I’d start thinking about alternate itineraries.
smamedov

Re: Ahern Pass/Drift current status?

Post by smamedov »

zozeppelin wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:27 pm I refreshed the trail status last night in the thread directly below this one, so it should be close to current. It is currently showing fifty mountain only accessible from Goat Haunt direction, with both upper highline and flattop access in winter status. Upper highline has a projected clearance date of Aug 1st. Fifty Mountain has an advanced permit initial date of Aug 1st as well (flattop of July 15th) so I’m curious as to how you obtained the permit.

I suspect there will be other issues like this where the campsite may be available but Rec.gov isn’t able to discern whether the connecting trails would be passable (ignoring the current status). For instance, both GLH and KOO may be open and reservable in June, and while their connecting distance is within the 17 mile limit, they most certainly wouldn’t be connectable at that time (for non-mountaineering).

I also think there is an error with Rec.gov where they are showing walking availability currently for just about everywhere. Perhaps they are both really open, Rec.gov is showing availability and nps.gov isn’t showing closed, but I’m suspicious. I’d start thinking about alternate itineraries.
Not sure what you mean as on the trail status website https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/ ... eports.htm it shows both Upper Highline trail and Highline trail open all the way on our route of Logan Pass->Granite Park->Fifty Mountain->Flattop->The Loop. Fifty Mountain is definitely open as we booked permits online through the standard rec.gov while on the phone with a ranger about it actually, and it shows as open in the Trail Status link. No winter status. The projected opening was 8/1 but it opened early. Rec.gov can definitely discern when campgrounds are closed or in winter status as our first plan was to do the Bowman-Kintla loop but were unable to book Hole in the Wall due to winter status/projected opening of 8/1.

Would you mind linking me to where you see that "fifty mountain only accessible from Goat Haunt direction, with both upper highline and flattop access in winter status". Would be super helpful. And if you could answer any of the questions in my original post that would be super helpful too. Thanks!
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Re: Ahern Drift current status?

Post by zozeppelin »

They are in winter status, check the color (admittedly a poor contrast) of the trails on the map or check the thread below this one for the text status.

As an example of Rec.gov error, MOJ - available on rec.gov but closed on nps.gov.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

(Duplicate post)
Last edited by teapot57 on Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

I may eat my words, but I doubt anyone here has crossed the Ahern Drift yet this year. I’d suggest calling or emailing the backcountry ranger station. You might also have luck checking out social media for the CDT (Continental Divide Trail).

The size of the drift varies depending on snow levels each year.

I can confirm that FIF is open for booking. STO opened for booking today as well.
smamedov

Post by smamedov »

For anyone wondering, one of the backcountry rangers went to check it out today 6/29 and reported that it’s crossable without crampons/ice axes.

"The Ahern drift is the smallest I've seen in June. I was able to kick step my way across. The trail past the drift to Ahern Pass (from Granite) has six creek/meltwater blowouts, but all of them passable on foot. Two of the six (more photos) are not passable by stock."
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Good deal, enjoy and be safe!

Return to “Hiking”