Moving To Florida Spring 2022

This area is for discussions about what ever, personal chats are okay in this section, so if you have something you want to talk about that is non-park related, feel free to talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Moving To Florida Spring 2022

Post by PeteE »

I know this will come as a shock to most, probably all of you.
No one reason. I'm simply not happy living here anymore.
Some reasons in no particular order are:

Attending my bother-in-law's funeral back in July made me realize just how important "family" is.
I have very little family left--My sister Vickie, her two children and their families, a cousin in Virginia, another in Sarasota are about it.
The last few years I have realized that I just don't have the physical ability to do many of the things I want to do. I'm still fairly healthy but...
I do NOT want to become a "long distance" burden on my family in Florida should I become disabled, sick, etc. and unable to care for myself.

And then there are what I would call "life style" issues living here in the Flathead Valley where my principle recreation revolves around Glacier National Park.
This area has experienced incredible growth over the last 4-5 years. A huge, for here, apartment complex(350 unit, 500+ residents!) was just completed last month across the road from my bedroom window. The increase in noise and traffic is pretty annoying. It's the same all over the valley.

A biggie for me relates to Glacier National Park. GNP is just no longer fun to go to.
The crowds, the more frequent fires and smoke, the restricted entry(ticket system) make going to the park a pain in the ass.
In the past, I really looked forward to a "day in the park". I could just hop in my truck and go without a hassle.
Now, as I said above, going to the park is just a giant pain in the ass and I don't see that changing.

Some say I could go to places like the Bob Marshall complex or other beautiful locations in the area.
True, but that's not why I moved here.
The price of gasoline($3.40-3.50/gal) makes travel to the park very expensive for me these days--never mind more distant places.
Driving directly to Logan Pass and back, about 130 miles costs me $30.00 just in fuel costs--never mind cost of maintenance over time.
Many Glacier would be about double that! I just cant do that.
Those who believe that gasoline prices will go back down are dreaming. Not going to happen in the short/medium term--if ever.

Winters have been a disappointment in terms of recreation. Climate change? The reason doesn't matter.
Why put up with grim winters if I can enjoy them snowshoeing, xcountry skiing, etc.?

Life around here just isn't fun anymore.

Soooo.....what am I going to do after moving to Florida?

My sister said I could live with her. Her house is a large 4 bedroom house, master and 3 others. Each bedroom has a full bathroom.
So room for me with 2 other bedrooms for visiting family, etc.
I'll be able to continue with my photography. While Florida's environment and climate is radically different from Montana, photo opportunities are huge. No big vistas, but I want to do more photography in the mixed forests, swamp lands, seacoasts, etc. Lots of wildlife, especially birds are another subject to photograph. I'll enjoy getting back to one of my childhood passions of finding and photographing animals like alligators and snakes. :) So plenty to do in Florida. Just different stuff from here. And I can do it all year. Winters are nothing compared to Montana.
Hence, the name of the town where I grew up--Winter Haven. :)

The incredible generosity of my sister Vickie( a "saint" imo 8) ) letting me stay in what she now calls "the family home" will allow me to do trips like travel to Europe this summer. !!! :arrow:
I bought a round trip ticket to London yesterday. I will fly to London in early June for a 6 week "wander" as the Brits say. :)
And as typical of my style of travel, I will go with pretty much no plan after I get there. I did the same thing in 1997 after my divorce.
I will be traveling by train for the most part. After visiting with some YouTube "friends", photographers and bush crafter types, The rough plan is to take a train to see places I haven't seen before to include, but not limited to: Switzerland, southern Germany, specifically Bavaria, the Balkans along the Adriatic, Romania Ukraine. At some point work my way back to London for flite back to Orlando. Once off the train in a location, use bus service or local trams, trains, etc to see specific places.
I've done a lot of research on travel and accommodation costs. It'll be easily affordable since I don't mind going "cheap". :)

So there ya go!

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
calicotraveler
Gender?: Female

Re: Moving To Florida Spring 2022

Post by calicotraveler »

What a surprise Pete! I do understand, however. Things do not stay the same. Florida has also grown up since you grew up there. And since I lived there.

We were just in Tampa area last week (we drove from SC). The traffic was brutal. We normally fly when we visit family in FL and will do so in the future. We like Florida and travel there to visit family. We also have family living in Montana. Both locations have their pluses and minuses. Both places have changed over time.

It will be good for you to be living close to family. Actually with family. This is something that sometimes we don't realize when we are younger.

We have been visiting Glacier NP for nearly every year since 1999. And I agree with everything you said about crowds and difficulty getting into the Park. Just not the same.

Traveling overseas is also a great thing to do. We have done a lot of that and loved every minute. Our son is just completing a trip to Europe that included many of the places you plan to go to. Even with covid going on.

I know you must have given all this a lot of thought (moving) and I wish you well! Please keep in touch on this chat if you can. And keep up the photography!
The mountains are calling and I must go.
mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Donator & Special Contributor

Post by mattB »

Wow! What a surprise, Pete! But I also understand, Glacier is not the same anymore.
Crowds, maintenance issues, costs of lodging, traffic. I had hoped that Glacier's surge in traffic was just do to the news stories about Glacier's disappearing glaciers, and people flocking to the park "before the glaciers are gone", but it appears to be a continuing trend and I don't imagine its going to change. I'm hearing reports just this week that parking is still difficult at Logan Pass...
And it seems like with an underfunded Park and NPS in general they won't be able to do anything to address the crowds and traffic issues..

I'm not familiar with Florida at all, except for the area around Cape Kennedy, I do remember being surprised by seeing herds of brahma beef cattle amongst the palm trees on the drive from Orlando to the Cape! I'm sure it has its own beauty, and will be great for a photographer! I remember seeing some amazing sunrises from Cocoa Beach. You'll also not be too far from the end of the Appalachian trail, so I'm sure there is some interesting hiking in that area.

Your Europe trip sounds great! I hope you will be posting pictures here!

MattB
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Michele, Matt, Doug:

Thank you(and everyone) for you support of my decision
I'll get back here for a better reply this evening.

Later gators 8)
Pete :wink:

George Carlin
Mzambo
Donator
Donator

Post by Mzambo »

Well I have not been on here in awhile, but Ken told me to pop on for your news! I'm happy for you Pete!
Think of you often and happy you are doing well.
Wish you nothing but happiness my friend.
Carol Lynn

Post by Carol Lynn »

Pete,

You have been so incredibly fortunate to have lived near Glacier NP for so many "good" years, but you are definitely making the right decision for this time in your life. I welcome your return to "my" state! :arrow:

Carol
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Carol Lynn wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:05 pm Pete,

You have been so incredibly fortunate to have lived near Glacier NP for so many "good" years, but you are definitely making the right decision for this time in your life. I welcome your return to "my" state! :arrow:

Carol
Mzambo wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:26 pm Well I have not been on here in awhile, but Ken told me to pop on for your news! I'm happy for you Pete!
Think of you often and happy you are doing well.
Wish you nothing but happiness my friend.
Thank you thank you Marie and Carol. I'm really be bit overwhelmed by everyone's support.
I'm going to move this to my Photography thread. People have emailed me who cant log in here for whatever reason.

Until I leave, I'll be around. MAYBE the f'ing crowds will abate before the snow flies :)
It is STILL crowed in the park. Never been like this so late in the season. Very frustrating.
Best
pete

George Carlin
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Pete,

Things run their course. What is it, 20 years going to Glacier? Yeah, I think that's enough. Part of the attraction for me was the lack of crowds, the ability to be spontaneous and just drive out for 10 days of incredible picture. Now you need to bring an ice pick to defend a parking spot. It's hard to see things with new eyes.

I sure have appreciated all the reports over the years. It was an inside view of what was going on, what's happening Betty. Things I wouldn't think of hiking or noticing. Keep checking in since the site is on life support right now. Can't imagine losing your voice. I'll put up a trip report in not too long. (I'll write a bunch while on my next vacation.)

Enjoy hiking the swamps of Florida. I hear the trail maintenance is lacking. Seriously, there's a guy named Clyde Butcher that did a lot of large format swamp photos. He'd actually leave his camera on a tripod out there and return with lenses and film to shoot. Check out his site for some inspiration.

I'm sure I have more to say, but I got to pick up a box to ship my bike.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Pete,

I will miss seeing you in Glacier, but totally understand your decision and think it’s a good one. It will be so nice for both you and Vickie to have each other close.

I’d love to continue seeing your photography and hearing about your travels. Maybe you can keep the Chat’s Non Park Related Topics Forum alive by keeping us posted on life after your move?

Wishing you lots of happiness, Pete.

Tina
fmcdonald

Post by fmcdonald »

Pete, I will really miss your beautiful pictures, your videos and all of your posts. For those of us who love Glacier and can't be there, especially in the off season, it has always helped me feel like I was there.

I think you're making the right move. Family is most important, but we will miss you.

Frances
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Hey Pete,

Although I will miss the local glacier updates and photographs, I think it's a good call to head back east and be near family. I thought about moving out west and couple of things really prevent it. One is being far away from family and friends, and the second is how much the west is changing with the fires and crowds in the parks. I think I wouldn't like dealing with bad air quality due to smoke throughout the summer.

-Paul
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

Sounds like a good decision; especially getting to be with family. Plus lots of new territory to work your photographic ways. Glad I got to meet and hike with you; it was great. I wish you the very best and thanks for providing us so much to enjoy. The Park will miss you showing it off.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Hey Jay, Tina, Frances, Paul:

I'm going to post this reply in Photography as well. Some friends cannot get into the chat now.

Thank you guys and everyone for your all the kind replies, understanding, and support.
It is very humbling. It's hard to find words to express how nice everyone here has been over the years.
That is especially true because, at times, I know I was a real a-hole. 8)

No results from biopsy, and after some extensive on-line research, **I** have concluded that somehow I have developed "IBS" :twisted: :twisted:
But we'll see what the medicine men say.
Never in all my life have I had gastro-intestinal problems until a couple months ago.
So I'm going to get a consult with the VA dietician( a nice gal) and get a new diet plan going.
I know that I'll have to give up some of my favorite foods that are "triggers" like sausage and other fatty/spicy stuff.
But I'll live. 8)

I have a new camera coming to replace the one I lost due to my stupidity at the Minn/St Paul airport.
Upgrading to a Sony a6600 :) It is the top of Sony's APS-C cameras.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... gital.html
I believe this model will serve me well for all my needs while I'm here and in Florida---for a long time.
The a6600 will be great for my trip to Europe too. FAR better camera for travel..

I already have Sony's LA-EA5 lens adapter.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... s=pi&pim=Y
So I can use my two best A-mount lenses an f2.8 16-55, 16-105, and f1.8 35mm prime...all of which are very good lenses lens.
I've used the adapter and it works great.(no glass in it) The A-mount lenses will work with full functionality.
I am trading everything else, including old Minolta Rokkar lenses, I have to offset the $1069 cost of the a6600 body.
KEH beat B&H's price by $200.00.
(If someone wants my old Minolta Rokkar lenses 35mm f2.8, 58mm f1.4, 135mm f 2.8 let me know)

The a6600 will be here tomorrow.
This weekend will be the last weekend I can get to Logan Pass.
Snow coming Sunday night and will almost surely close the road for the season.
So I should have some good pics and video for you sometime next week. :arrow:

I'm pretty excited about my trip. I'm hoping to meet some of the photographers in England that I follow on YouTube.
I plan on doing this trip out a backpack. I'm sure I can fit all my clothing and gear in a backpack that will go as a carry on.
If anyone has suggestions on such a pack(many exist) please let me know.
I'm not the first person to live 6 weeks out of a backpack. :) I'm 100% certain I can do it. I live a simple life. 8)
And I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience traveling by train, bus, and hitchhiking.

Thanks again.

pete

George Carlin
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

I hear just what you're saying Pete. I went to Glacier three times this year (2021). Too crowded and too inconvenient. I'll bet you'll find plenty of photo ops in Florida! Going to the UK eh? That should be a blast. Best Wishes to ya!
Ralph
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
calicotraveler

Post by calicotraveler »

Just on the chance that your "IBS" may be caused by something that it is fairly easy to remedy.....
I had some GI problems that I put up with for about 6 months. Thought I would try an elimination diet on my own. First thought was dairy. So I eliminated milk, yogurt, ice cream, etc. Noticed no change after 2 weeks of it. So I decided to forget that. Went on to eliminate gluten. This is a little difficult at first. However, after about 10 days on this elimination diet I noticed a definite change....for the better. It's been a couple of years now of no gluten and I am fine! No GI problems at all.

Gluten is found in wheat products and other grain products. I read up on it and have found substitute products that work just fine for me. Several gluten free foods are available in grocery stores now. Gluten is not found in all starches. Potatoes, corn, rice, and some other grains make up GF cereals and breads. Meats and eggs and most ice cream are also gluten free.

Just thought I would mention this just in case this might be your problem.

Worth a try.

:)
The mountains are calling and I must go.

Return to “Non Park Specific Topics”