2019 Backcountry Permits

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: 2019 Backcountry Permits

Post by PeteE »

ohioguy wrote:Well I got my credit card bill, they charged me $40.00 so am I to assume I got the hike???
Have not received an email conformation but they ran my credit card on the 15th.
No, They ran everyone's on March 15th, or the date they got your application.
If you do NOT get an itinerary, they will refund $30 of the $40.
I'm not sure which you will see first, the refund, or your email rejection.
$10 is an application fee that is not refundable.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
sbosecker
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by sbosecker »

About 45 minutes ago I received an email from the Backcountry Permit Rangers...

Basically the email indicated they were unable to confirm any of my itinerary choices.

I checked the Backcountry Campsite Availability Page within 15 minutes of receiving the email.

https://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/ ... bcmap.html

Two of my 4 itineraries seem to be available. One of them on multiple days.

This is not unprecidented. I have recieved notice in previous years that an itinerary was unavailable and when I've checked it was. When that happened in the past I called the Backcountry Office and talked to a Ranger who - after checking my info - granted the reservation.

Today, so far, no one is answering the phone. I've left a message and also replied to the"unable" email.

Scott
Sue Z
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Sue Z »

Agony. :( I wish you well, sbosecker.
Sue Z
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

sbosecker wrote:
Today, so far, no one is answering the phone. I've left a message and also replied to the"unable" email.
Not sure how timely the advance reservation availability page is being updated. They've disabled the link to it from the NPS website (https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/ ... ations.htm), with the message "This link will be reactivated in mid-May 2019 once all of the advanced applications have been processed."

They probably want to minimize how many calls and emails they're getting while they're still processing the March 15th applications.
DawsonPass62

Post by DawsonPass62 »

Just got my permit - Belly River in late July as I wanted, but not the best campsites - Gable, Mokowanis Junction for two nights, and Glenns Foot. Had wanted Cosley,and/or Elizabeth and/or Mokowanis Lake, as well as an additional night, but hopeful that I will be able to modify and extend when we get the permit.
sbosecker

Post by sbosecker »

Sue Z wrote:Agony. :( I wish you well, sbosecker.
Sue Z,

Thanks - the clouds have parted and the sun is now shining! See following posts...

Best regards,

Scott
sbosecker

Post by sbosecker »

Fairbanks142 wrote:
sbosecker wrote:
Not sure how timely the advance reservation availability page is being updated. They've disabled the link to it from the NPS website (https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/ ... ations.htm), with the message "This link will be reactivated in mid-May 2019 once all of the advanced applications have been processed."

They probably want to minimize how many calls and emails they're getting while they're still processing the March 15th applications.

Fairbanks142,

I think the Advanced Reservation Page is pretty much real time. If for no other reason than the following...

After calling the Backcountry Office every 10 minutes or so to attempt to speak with someone, I decided to try a different approach. I called the main Glacier NP phone number and talked to Visitor Services Assistant Teagan Tomlin. Teagan patiently listened to my issue and then suggested that I use the "Contact Glacier via Email" web form on the Glacier NP website. Teagan said she would see this email immediately and would forward it to the Backcountry Permit Rangers.

I did as Teagan suggested. About 10 minutes later I received an email from the Backcountry Permit Rangers that I had a reserved itinerary. A few minutes after that I received a phone call from one of the Rangers letting me know that I had a reservation and apologizing for the error. I thanked the Ranger and asked which of the methods I had used to contact them (voice mail, reply to email or Teagan) had been successful. The Ranger indicated that Teagan had gotten through to them regarding my issue.

So here's my itinerary:

Aug 18 Bowman Lake
Aug 19 Hole-In-The-Wall
Aug 20 Boulder Pass
Aug 21 Kintla Lake Head

Scott
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Scott,
I've had the same experience ..... permit denied when the chosen itinerary was clearly available. Called the rangers and they fixed it, but this just shouldn't ever happen.

I know this takes the fun out of it for some, but now that the application is an online form, this should all be automated. The availability is in a database, the application parameters are in a database and using similar tables to Matt's planner, it could easily parse the applications for valid combinations and issue permits, presumably all in one day. I'm sure the rangers have better things to do as well.

Taking this one step further, the system could consider all applications, trying to find a solution to fulfill as many as possible, by considering the flexibility provided in the application. This would be a similar exercise to building sports teams' schedules.

Taking it one additional step further, after the initial applications are completed, the site should open up to a 'add to cart' approach with checkout - similar to other treks (mont blanc, patagonia, nz great walks, etc).
Sue Z
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Sue Z »

sbosecker wrote: So here's my itinerary:

Aug 18 Bowman Lake
Aug 19 Hole-In-The-Wall
Aug 20 Boulder Pass
Aug 21 Kintla Lake Head

Scott
:arrow:
That's fabulous!
My 2 cents: Side hike to Boulder Peak is great.
Sue Z
sbosecker

Post by sbosecker »

zozeppelin wrote:Scott,
I've had the same experience ..... permit denied when the chosen itinerary was clearly available. Called the rangers and they fixed it, but this just shouldn't ever happen.

I know this takes the fun out of it for some, but now that the application is an online form, this should all be automated. The availability is in a database, the application parameters are in a database and using similar tables to Matt's planner, it could easily parse the applications for valid combinations and issue permits, presumably all in one day. I'm sure the rangers have better things to do as well.

Taking this one step further, the system could consider all applications, trying to find a solution to fulfill as many as possible, by considering the flexibility provided in the application. This would be a similar exercise to building sports teams' schedules.

Taking it one additional step further, after the initial applications are completed, the site should open up to a 'add to cart' approach with checkout - similar to other treks (mont blanc, patagonia, nz great walks, etc).
zozeppelin,

Not only do the Rangers have better things to do, I'm pretty sure staring at forms repetitively for nearly a month was not what these folks envisioned when they signed up for the service. Ha!

Still... my itinerary requests were about as simple as it gets. I picked specific campsites in one direction for each of my four 4-Day itineraries. I didn't vary ANYTHING except the possible starting dates.

The itinerary I eventually received today was the last one possible for that trek that "fit" inside my dates window.

My other available request was POI, ELF, HEL, GAB. This appeared to be available starting on the 15th and on the 18th. I just checked and those two itineraries are still available on those days.

I'm sure the rangers are bleary-eyed after 4 weeks of this stuff...

Best regards,

Scott
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

sbosecker wrote: So here's my itinerary:

Aug 18 Bowman Lake
Aug 19 Hole-In-The-Wall
Aug 20 Boulder Pass
Aug 21 Kintla Lake Head
Congrats! I'm a few days behind you with BOW > HOL > UPK. Enjoy!
sbosecker wrote:
I think the Advanced Reservation Page is pretty much real time.
Yeah, I have to admit....the reason I even checked my email last week on the day I got mine was because I checked the advanced reservation page, saw that sites were no longer available on the exact dates I had asked for....then checked my email, and sure enough there was the email saying I got it. (-;
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

DawsonPass62 wrote:Just got my permit - Belly River in late July as I wanted, but not the best campsites - Gable, Mokowanis Junction for two nights, and Glenns Foot. Had wanted Cosley,and/or Elizabeth and/or Mokowanis Lake, as well as an additional night, but hopeful that I will be able to modify and extend when we get the permit.
Congrats as well!
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I must have drawn a bad number in the lottery.
For one of my applications, I gave them a 30 day window--Aug15 to Sept 15 for:

UPK-->BOU-->BOU-->KIN

Looking just now, there are still many date combinations that will still work for me
So just hangin' and waitin' 8)

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Geode

Post by Geode »

I'm still waiting on all 4 of my permit applications. Should I contact Glacier somehow to ask what's going on?
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

I think there are still more applications that they haven't processed than completed applications. I'm in touch with 3 friends that also submitted applications, and none of them have heard back yet either.

Watching the advanced reservations page, it's been slow movement. Each day there is a site here, a couple sites there that are no longer available....but it's much more of a trickle than a flood.

They say that we can expect 8 weeks to process all of the March 15th applications, so that puts us exactly at the halfway point after 4 weeks. And as Pete said, there are still plenty of sites and itineraries available across most dates, especially if your application allows for flexibility on sites and dates.

Return to “Backcountry Permits”