First to get their BC Permit

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

thebelgianpeople

Post by thebelgianpeople »

I mailed my application on the 1st and this waiting is driving me crazy... and I thought I could be cool about this :D Anyways, overseas post might take a few days to get here, or do you think they'd send an email to us europeans?
Heff936
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by Heff936 »

We've always received an e-mail response so I think that will be how you receive your permit. The waiting is irritating. We went through that last year but seem to have had some luck this year. Good Luck.
Will Mac
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Permit 176

Post by Will Mac »

:arrow: I received Permit # 176 on Monday. UPK->HOL->GOA->MOJ->ELF. Yes it isn't the lowest permit number, but I pretty much got what I wanted with the exception of MOJ (I requested GLH). Now if my knees will only hold up!!
k2kelley
Donator
Donator

wil mac

Post by k2kelley »

Ouch, great routes but a couple of tough days in there. Not much time to soak it up.
Will Mac
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Will Mac »

I've tried to keep it in the 10 miles/day range. You are right, though, there are a couple of tough days in there. But I'm looking forward to the challenge.
Transplant

Post by Transplant »

anybody know what permit # they are on by now? We are still waiting to hear and looking at the website it looks like both of our routes are pretty much not going to happen now.

We actually submitted two different apps (not for same dates) and we haven't heard from either of them yet.

We are starting to look at other parks and I want to book something before they are gone too.
kklein

Post by kklein »

I'm still waiting too. I'm trying not to look at the availability page too often, but it does look like my first choice route is gone.

Dang the wait is killing me.
JEISCH

Post by JEISCH »

I'm still waiting too, but it looks like my whole route is pretty much gone. :cry: It seems like they process them for a couple of days, and then send out the emails all at once, at least that's how it appears from the announcements of permits people have received so far on this website.

Has anyone got a rejection email yet? It would be nice to know one way or the other.
dorf

Post by dorf »

It seems like they process them for a couple of days, and then send out the emails all at once, at least that's how it appears from the announcements of permits people have received so far on this website.
You are correct, and a very astute observation I might add. The BC office called me on Tuesday afternoon to ask me a question while working on my app and finally sent my email for #397 at 9 AM this morning.
So many mountains, so little time.
aussie2i

Post by aussie2i »

To all of those still waiting- Yesterday,a email from the BC Gods asking for a clarification for alternate dates,one day later a email with my selected itinerary (northern loop) and my original date.!What a difference a day makes!!! Permit #492
kklein

Post by kklein »

Bingo! Permit #505. Got my second choice -- COB, ISA, COB, UPT.
Transplant

Post by Transplant »

Huge relief; we got permit #470 (northern loop, sort of)

:arrow:

8/29 Granite Park
8/30 Fifty Mountian
8/31 Kootanai
9/1 Glenns Lake Headwaters
9/2 Elizabeth Lake

It is basically a reverse of what we requested with the substitution of Kootania (we wanted Stoney). What are the odds of switching with a walk up permit? I have a couple other questions as well that I will post in another topic.

Oh yeah, I think they did the same thing to us that they did to you Dorf; I haven't verified yet but I am pretty positive that we put 9/1 as our last day and they scheduled us for 9/2 as our last day. :?

It just so happens we can make it work. :arrow:
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

You'll love ther route and have nothing but great campsites. You might be able to change KOO to STON on check in, though personally I like KOO every bit as much as STO, though they are very different sites. I like the almost guaranteed moose-watching at KOO. STO is beutiful but also very dusty and the beautiful lake tends to be out of view of most of the campsites. Overal though you can't go wrong with either KOO or STO. Have a great trip.
trillerud1
Donator
Donator

#498 & 499

Post by trillerud1 »

So here is what I asked for:

8/29 FLA
8/30 FIF
8/31 GRA
9/1 REY
9/2 ELL

Here's what I got ...

8/29 ELL
8/30 REY

8/31 FLA
9/ 1 FIF
9/ 2 FIF

I think I managed to snag the last reservation for 9/2 for Granite Chalet ... so I might be able to still do the bit between FIF and GRA. It is a little odd that they broke it into 2, thinking that one can't use the new shuttle to get between the north side of GTTS and the south side !!!

Some of you may think this is an odd combination, but I really wanted to hike this year on some trails I knew my great grandfather had helped to build. Too bad there isn't a trail along mineral creek, rather than the flattop trail.
k2kelley
Donator
Donator

kklien-ISA

Post by k2kelley »

was here 2-years ago, great scrambling at the upper end of the lake. Views to the Nyak valley and I think you can see Mt. St. nik. from there also. Stunning flowers from the main trail up to the lake also when I was there.

Return to “Backcountry Permits”