Leaving food in vehicle overnight at trailhead or Motor Inn

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

DayTripper
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Leaving food in vehicle overnight at trailhead or Motor Inn

Post by DayTripper »

We are traveling to GNP in two weeks, and I have a question about leaving food in our car at a trailhead overnight. As my user name indicates, we usually just day hike. This year however we are lucky enough to have reservations at Sperry and Granite Park Chalets.

What is the recommendation about leaving food in your car at the Sperry Trail trailhead, and in the Swiftcurrent Motor Inn area?

Our plans are to pack trail mix in baggies and leave the larger opened bags in the vehicle for two nights. We also will have unopened granola bars in the vehicle—is this not advised?, are there lockers near trailhead or Lake McDonald Lodge to use?

We will have the same concern when we hike to Granite Park Chalet. We originally planned to take the shuttle from MGH to St Mary, before the Reynolds Creek Wildfire broke out, but may just hike up Swiftcurrent Valley to the chalet. It all just depends on the GTTS Road opening back up. Once again, at Swiftcurrent Inn area is there a place to store food other than your vehicle? Or is storage in your vehicle no big deal?

Thanks,
Daytripper
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Leaving food in vehicle overnight at trailhead or Motor

Post by llholmes1948 »

We have left food in the vehicle many times at Glacier and have never had a problem. The food has usually been packages of breakfast cereal, both open and unopened, and an ample supply of unopened granola bars. We have done this several times at Lake McDonald for two or three nights while we have gone to stay at Sperry Chalet and at Avalanche for a couple nights while we have gone to stay at Granite Park Chalet.

We usually leave the food in the trunk or cover it with a coat or blanket in case Jen or Bruce come by and get tempted but so far they haven't been a problem.

Sounds like you have a great trip lined up and hope you have a great time.

Lyman
Jen

Post by Jen »

I have never worried about food in my car. I might be slightly uneasy about a visible cooler? (Trunk is OK). I got scolded for having a small (empty and unused) cooler out in my camp at St. Mary. Apparently Bears can recognize a cooler (pic-a-nic basket) when they see one.
DayTripper
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by DayTripper »

I believe Jen and Bruce are scheduled to be in the park at a later date. So hopefully things will be okay. Jen, can you confirm this. :D

Thanks, DayTripper
Jen

Post by Jen »

DayTripper wrote:I believe Jen and Bruce are scheduled to be in the park at a later date. So hopefully things will be okay. Jen, can you confirm this. :D

Thanks, DayTripper
As long as your cooler has no beer in it you should be safe. :wink:
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Under no circumstances should you leave pie in the vehicle but if you must, be sure not to let it be known that there is pie left in the vehicle.

Lyman
Jen

Post by Jen »

llholmes1948 wrote:Under no circumstances should you leave pie in the vehicle but if you must, be sure not to let it be known that there is pie left in the vehicle.

Lyman
Don't listen to Lyman.
If you leave pie in your vehicle, be sure to leave a note on your windshield that says "Pie on board" and please leave the doors unlocked.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Jen wrote:
llholmes1948 wrote:Under no circumstances should you leave pie in the vehicle but if you must, be sure not to let it be known that there is pie left in the vehicle.

Lyman
Don't listen to Lyman.
If you leave pie in your vehicle, be sure to leave a note on your windshield that says "Pie on board" and please leave the doors unlocked.

Sure, go ahead! Leave pie in your vehicle or better yet, several pies of different varieties and then leave your vehicle unlocked with a note for Jen or Bruce. Even better, call them ahead of time and ask them to keep a watch on your vehicle and the pie while you are away. Your pie(s) will be perfectly safe and waiting for you when you return :roll:

Yeah, right!

Lyman
Jen

Post by Jen »

llholmes1948 wrote:
Jen wrote:

Lyman
Don't listen to Lyman.

Sure, go ahead! Leave pie in your vehicle or better yet, several pies of different varieties and then leave your vehicle unlocked with a note for Jen or Bruce. Even better, call them ahead of time and ask them to keep a watch on your vehicle and the pie while you are away. Your pie(s) will be perfectly safe and waiting for you when you return :roll:

Yeah, right!

Lyman
Pie makes me thirsty so don't forget the beers ;)
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

Sure leave the pie and the beer, just make sure to let us know where the key is so we don't damage the car! :D

In truth, yes you can leave food and coolers in your car, but make sure and cover and break up the outlines of the cooler by throwing something over it, put the food on the floor and don't leave on the dash, do not leave the windows open so odors can get out, if you have a trunk put it in there.

Our bears have not quite learned the same as the bears in Yosemite, but they are always on the prowl to see what they can find.

Return to “Hiking”