Question about Ptarmigan Tunnel Goat Path?

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

qwimjim
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Question about Ptarmigan Tunnel Goat Path?

Post by qwimjim »

It looks like the ideal way to hike the goat path would be north to south, easier routefinding, the best views always in front of you, etc.. and then downclimbing iceberg notch. Seems like an amazing loops. I've done a ton of hiking, some scrambling, some sport climbing, some guided easy mountaineering.. but between the sketchiness of the goat path and downclimbing iceberg notch, i'm not so sure i'm up for it, especially without someone to show me the way. So I was trying to think of other ways to experience the views without all the sketchiness :) It looks like the views would be best in the middle of the goat path on the scree slope between the two big cliff sections at either end. The guidebook says there's an escape route right around there where you can climb to a notch in the ridge and come back down the iceberg lake side to the hiking trail. So how difficult of a scramble would this be? See map: Escape Route Notch is the red line: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... 8V-z9XhLfA

I was thinking of either:
A. Hike to Iceberg lake and then taking the Escape Route Notch (red line) to the top of the ridge to check out the view and come back the same way
B. Hike swiftcurrent pass to Ahern pass, then do the southern half of the Goat Path, turn around and retrace my steps back.
C. Hike swiftcurrent pass to Ahern pass, then take the Escape Route Notch (red line) to Iceberg Lake back to Many Glacier.

What do you guys think would be the easiest day? The online guide on here seems to focus on the difficulties of the northern half of the goat path, is the southern section (green line) straightforward and a better path? How difficult would the Escape Route Notch be? I know Ahern pass snowpatch requires ice axe and possibly crampons, so that's not a problem.

Thanks!
Jen

Re: Question about Ptarmigan Tunnel Goat Path?

Post by Jen »

Or you could could hike out toward Iceberg lake and scramble up to peak 8085 on the Ptarmigan wall. The views are pretty ok from there.

Then you can hike back out the way you came and be back at Swiftcurrent before beer thirty ;)
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

qwimjim wrote:
A. Hike to Iceberg lake and then taking the Escape Route Notch (red line) to the top of the ridge to check out the view and come back the same way
B. Hike swiftcurrent pass to Ahern pass, then do the southern half of the Goat Path, turn around and retrace my steps back.
C. Hike swiftcurrent pass to Ahern pass, then take the Escape Route Notch (red line) to Iceberg Lake back to Many Glacier.

What do you guys think would be the easiest day? The online guide on here seems to focus on the difficulties of the northern half of the goat path, is the southern section (green line) straightforward and a better path? How difficult would the Escape Route Notch be? I know Ahern pass snowpatch requires ice axe and possibly crampons, so that's not a problem.

Thanks!
Be aware that there's a pretty bad snow field below Ahern pass as you climb down to the southern section of the goat trail. You would probably need an ice axe and know how to use. If you want to hike the southern section of the goat path you could camp at Helen lake and scramble up to the goat trail.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
qwimjim

Post by qwimjim »

Jen wrote:Or you could could hike out toward Iceberg lake and scramble up to peak 8085 on the Ptarmigan wall. The views are pretty ok from there.

Then you can hike back out the way you came and be back at Swiftcurrent before beer thirty ;)
It looks like peak 8085 is right above the "escape route notch" I was talking about, I can see the notch in your photo :) How is that scramble?

I'm wondering if the photos of the goat path aren't taken in a way to make it more intimidating than it actually is, and that perhaps I should just do the goat path.
qwimjim

Post by qwimjim »

paul wrote:
qwimjim wrote:

Thanks!
Be aware that there's a pretty bad snow field below Ahern pass as you climb down to the southern section of the goat trail. You would probably need an ice axe and know how to use. If you want to hike the southern section of the goat path you could camp at Helen lake and scramble up to the goat trail.
Yes thanks, I'll bring ice axe and crampons for that. I won't be able to camp at Helen Lake however, I'll be with my family so we'll be staying in Swiftcurrent/Many Glacier. If I'm not doing the full goat path/iceberg notch standard loop then my options are hike to Iceberg Lake and I scramble up to the notch and down the other side to check it out, or to Point 8085 as someone suggested which is just above the notch and then return the way I came or return via Ahern Pass/Swiftcurrent Pass.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I think it's hard to find trails when you're hiking alone and don't know the area. So Jen's idea sounds like a good choice, or just head up the wall as you're saying. I think someone fell died a few years ago trying to locate the goat trail from the south end. (So, locating the trail may be a little tricky.)

You can simply hike Swiftcurrent to the Highline and get to Iceberg Notch using mostly trails. A view of Iceberg Notch:

BTW, this was shot on film. The vast majority of my film has simply sat in 3-ring binders. I've been planning to "digitize" my old stuff by simply shooting them with a digital camera. So this was a little test of that idea.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jen

Post by Jen »

I can only speak for the iceberg side of the escape notch (if we are talking about the same spot) and it was pretty straightforward.

The Helen Lake side seemed a little sketchy IMO
qwimjim

Post by qwimjim »

Jen wrote:I can only speak for the iceberg side of the escape notch (if we are talking about the same spot) and it was pretty straightforward.

The Helen Lake side seemed a little sketchy IMO
Thanks, I'll take your word for it on the sketchiness, especially since I'm doing this to avoid the sketchiness of the goat path :) So I guess what would make the most sense is just hiking to Iceberg Lake, scrambling up the escape notch, and then coming back down.

Return to “Hiking”