Off-Trail Question For Fairly Big Trip

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

ElephantHead
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Off-Trail Question For Fairly Big Trip

Post by ElephantHead »

Hi All,

This is my first post on GNP Chat. I'm wondering if any of you know if it's possible to get into the Dixon Glacier basin from Lake Francis without roping up? From the topos and pictures it looks like there might be a steep but safe way to avoid the sheer face that the waterfall flows over, but it's hard to tell. Alternatively, has anyone gone from the boulder pass trail up to lake 6690 just east of The Guardhouse?

I'm asking because I'm planning an off-trail trip for this august which would essentially mirror the divide from the boulder pass trail to jefferson pass, up onto the ridge between redhorn peak and gyrfalcon lake, and past trapper peak back onto the mcdonald creek trail. If either of those two routes above are possible, it would allow me to skip climbing up and wrapping all the way around thunderbird mountain to get to the Guardhouse and down to Jefferson pass. In other words, it would make it easier for me to get from boulder pass trail to the saddle between the guardhouse and porcupine ridge.

Also, have any of you all had any experience with any sections of this route that I'm thinking about, or do you have any input? I'm an experienced wilderness backpacker and scrambler, but I don't mess around with technical climbing. I also have relatively little bushwhacking experience for the amount of off-trail travel I've done, which is making me a little bit nervous for this route. (I've mostly spent time in dryer, higher ranges like the winds, the sierras, the wasatch where bushwhacking isn't as much of an issue. I've been to glacier before but it was with my girlfriend who is a relatively weak hiker, so we stayed on trails.)

Return to “Hiking”