How far are the ledges on the Highline (HockeyRef) trail?

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: How far are the ledges on the Highline (HockeyRef) trail

Post by llholmes1948 »

smahurin wrote:I just picked up some trekking poles this summer as well seeing as at the ripe old age of 28 my knees are already trashed. They've been wonderful for downhills. I honestly think the carbide tip grips tremendously on even smooth wet rock, I was amazed at how stable/grippy they are.
I quite agree. I never felt a need for poles years ago or even on our first family trip to Glacier in 2001. However by our next trip in 2005 I felt poles would have been very helpful esp. coming down the switchbacks from Ptarmigan Tunnel to Ptarmigan Lake and from Siyeh Pass to Preston Park. So I bit the bullet and bought some Leki poles before our 2008 trip and they were very helpful on downhill sections. I won't leave for the mountains without them.

I am pleasantly surprised at how well good quality poles hold up. I let my daughter borrow my poles in 2011 when she hiked the Appalachian Trail and I fully expected that these poles would wear out en route and I would not see them again. There was a broken tip which was expertly repaired by a dealer in Gorham, New Hampshire, but they came back just fine and made another trip to Glacier this year.

If people want to try poles for a day or so before deciding whether to buy them, Glacier Raft Co. in West Glacier rents( and sells) poles and in our experience can give you good advice.

Lyman
Nodust
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Nodust »

llholmes1948 wrote:
smahurin wrote:I just picked up some trekking poles this summer as well seeing as at the ripe old age of 28 my knees are already trashed. They've been wonderful for downhills. I honestly think the carbide tip grips tremendously on even smooth wet rock, I was amazed at how stable/grippy they are.
I quite agree. I never felt a need for poles years ago or even on our first family trip to Glacier in 2001. However by our next trip in 2005 I felt poles would have been very helpful esp. coming down the switchbacks from Ptarmigan Tunnel to Ptarmigan Lake and from Siyeh Pass to Preston Park. So I bit the bullet and bought some Leki poles before our 2008 trip and they were very helpful on downhill sections. I won't leave for the mountains without them.

I am pleasantly surprised at how well good quality poles hold up. I let my daughter borrow my poles in 2011 when she hiked the Appalachian Trail and I fully expected that these poles would wear out en route and I would not see them again. There was a broken tip which was expertly repaired by a dealer in Gorham, New Hampshire, but they came back just fine and made another trip to Glacier this year.

If people want to try poles for a day or so before deciding whether to buy them, Glacier Raft Co. in West Glacier rents( and sells) poles and in our experience can give you good advice.

Lyman
I bought cheap walmart poles to see how I liked using them. $24 for the pair and iced used them for two years. If they ever break I may just get another set like them.
BCD
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by BCD »

Im 270lb, 5'11". Quit a stout porker. I used a single carbide tip pole, 1st time this yr. Saved my bacon on the steep descent from Grinell overlook. I also found it supporting a fair amount of wt when my gas tank emptied. Ill use it again for sure!
joybird
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by joybird »

In addition to adding some power to my uphills and some cushioning to my downhills, I find that poles are absolutely invaluable to me when my acrophobia/vertigo kicks in because they give me a much greater feeling of stability on narrow, exposed trails (like the cliffy section of the Swiftcurrent Pass trail, for example). Especially when the wind kicks up.

I love my poles. 8)

Return to “Hiking”