ROMO

Have you visited another National Park, you would like to share, although most are Glacier Fanatics, we love to visit any National Park, let us know about your experience here!

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

elscout198
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

ROMO

Post by elscout198 »

I am a park host in Glacier Basin Campground in Rocky till September 7, the view is spectacular, and so far the "job" is fun

camp visitor

If you are in ROCKY and near Glacier Basin stop on by
"There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact it's all dark"
(Eclipse by Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon)
ND Sol
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: ROMO

Post by ND Sol »

Sounds like a great gig.

Another photo of Longs Peak with Mount Meeker to the left and Mt. Lady Washington to the right:

I read that an 18-year old died on the Keyhole Route on the Ledges on Friday. Sad story.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

ND, you've been around.

Elscout. At some point, I'd be interested to hear what you thought about hosting for a summer. So, was it worth hosting verses just camping for an extended time. We've kicked around the idea, but the loss of freedom (to move) seems a little restricting to me. OTOH hand, it would be cool to spend a summer in one spot.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
ND Sol
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by ND Sol »

Jay,

That's the polite way of saying I'm old. :)

Looking back, I realize that the vast majority of my backpacking trips have been within 50 miles of the Continental Divide as it stretches from Colorado to British Columbia/Alberta. Backpacking in RMNP and climbing Longs fits that criteria. :mrgreen:

A closer view of Longs Peak from 2008 when I did climb it (not the Diamond face route :shock: )

elscout198

Post by elscout198 »

So far (3 weeks) ROMO has been interesting and fun, its such a big park and I have more to see.

Most of the park visitors (my customers) are great to talk to and every day something new is going on

Downside to ROMO, no internet at the campsite, have to go to Beaver Meadows to get good connection,
elscout198

Post by elscout198 »

Jay w wrote:ND, you've been around.

Elscout. At some point, I'd be interested to hear what you thought about hosting for a summer. So, was it worth hosting verses just camping for an extended time. We've kicked around the idea, but the loss of freedom (to move) seems a little restricting to me. OTOH hand, it would be cool to spend a summer in one spot.

Jay
I enjoyed my entire 8 weeks at ROMO. When you say one spot, the park has over 265,000 acres to explore. Wildlife is abundant, crowds on the tourist trails are nuts at time but just go off further and at times your alone. With ROMO you can take shuttle busses to many of the trails easiler from Glacier Basin Campground or from the park and ride 1/2 mile away. You meet people from around the world! I was amazed how many folks from somewhere overseas rent an RV in Denver, drive to ROMO and then vacation by staying in a park with no water and electric hook ups (the rv's have generators, people rented tents, mostly from REI also. But many would give away or sell there stuff when they left (if it wasn't rented)

This is a great "job " for talking to all sorts of campers and hikers, lots of parks need volunteers, just go to volunteer.gov and keep looking :arrow: :arrow:

Return to “Other National Parks”