Alaska dreamin'

Have you visited another National Park, you would like to share, although most are Glacier Fanatics, we love to visit any National Park, let us know about your experience here!

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Alaska dreamin'

Post by Selkie »

It rains all the time.
Denali could be skipped in favor of heading to other places.
Quite a few bears - and many fewer trees to get up.
Mosquitoes.

That's the sum of my knowledge of Alaska. If anyone has suggestions for day hiking, similar physical interactions with the land, plus a few can't-miss tourist spots, and literature, I'd welcome them. Backpacking is likely out. I am thinking of 10 days to 2 weeks next summer (2015). On the moderate side of adventure.

I finally read Nick Jans's Tracks of the Unseen. He's pretty good. Years ago I read John McPhee's Coming into the Country. Would like to see some fly-into places, like Kotzebue.

Thanks!
pitamakan
Gender?: Male

Re: Alaska dreamin'

Post by pitamakan »

Don't go all Chris McCandless on us, Marjorie! :)

I've been there a couple of times ... it's a great roadtrip destination, but I've never thought of it as a day-hike location. A different level of self-reliance is definitely required in most places.

My suggestion would be to look at the McCarthy area in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park -- it's a bit Polebridge-esque in feel, with fascinating history and great scenery. I also loved the town of Homer, with its Norway-like setting.

Never had the budget for a fly-in destination, but I've always thought that going to Katmai National Park would be extremely cool.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: Alaska dreamin'

Post by Selkie »

Thanks, Mark!

A nonrunning schoolbus doesn't meet my domiciliary requirements, so I don't plan to disappear. I plan, in fact, to keep on breathing. :D

Just beginning to feel my way here. It is very expensive - $4 for a can of tomato paste in Kotzebue grocery, $4 for a green pepper. I get sick on small planes... :roll: (Hitched a ride on one once, is how I found out.)
Provisionally, I would go to Alaska at end of its season, then make my way slowly, by Inside Passage, to Puget Sound, thence to Purcell Range, the Yaak, Cabinets, over to North Fork.
Or 2 separate journeys. We'll see.
It's not a place one can see once and forever, once and all of it.
Thanks for the suggestions!

There are some August swim meets in Alaska. LOL ... 54 degree water for 8 miles.

(Someone - Herrero? said, if you end up using bear spray, you made a mistake somewhere.)

Return to “Other National Parks”