Sperry glacier or Lincoln peak

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

danlowery

Sperry glacier or Lincoln peak

Post by danlowery »

I'm interested in your opinions. We are identifying hikes for our trip sep 9-14. Was considering doing gunsight Lincoln starting from gtts road and ending at lake mcd. If we do this hike we would like to add Lincoln peak. However while viewing some images posted on sperry glacier and comeau pass I was blow away! We could start at lake mcd and hike up to sperry and back down. I know it's a 5 k elevation gain and long day but we are in good shape and up for it. Which do you recommend?

Thanks
wnysteve
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Sperry glacier or Lincoln peak

Post by wnysteve »

That's a tough choice, one in which there is no wrong answer. If you can only do one this year, I would choose the Sperry Glacier option. Much is made of the fact that the Lake McDonald-to-Sperry hike involves a lot of wooded terrain, but that also applies to the first couple of hours of the Jackson Overlook-to-Gunsight Lake route.
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

sperry glacier....
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

I'll add a vote for Gunsight. Sperry is cool and very unique but the hike up gunsight pass and on to Lincoln pass is one of the best (if not the best) in the park.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

I'd vote for Gunsight, too, especially if this is your first trip into the area. Agreed with Paul that the stretch between Gunsight Lake and Sperry is one of the best in the entire park.

Then come back for a second trip and hike to Sperry Glacier via Floral Park!

Return to “Hiking”