Firebrand Pass Trail near East Glacier

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

calicotraveler
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Firebrand Pass Trail near East Glacier

Post by calicotraveler »

Anyone done this trail? What is it like? What is the snow situation like this year? Any help would be appreciated.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Firebrand Pass Trail near East Glacier

Post by toddnick »

I did this in 2010...scroll down a bit on page 1 of my trip report (it is day 3) at link below....I liked it a lot...didn't see any people....nice view from the Pass...

http://glacier.nationalparkschat.com/ph ... =11&t=5560
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

Hi -
The trail condition is under Two Medicine on the NPS page. There is a snow hazard that is melting out:
Firebrand Pass Trail Lubec Trailhead to Firebrand Pass/ 4.8 mi. Cleared of downfall to treeline 6/12/14 per 650
2% snow cover with SNOW HAZARD at the pass, ice axe recommended 7/9/14 per 824 Katz
Blake Passmore's book, vol. 2 of Climb Glacier National Park: The Two Medicine Valley and Firebrand Pass, has a description for accessing Firebrand Pass -- it's kind of visible from the start -- and then hiking up either Calf Robe or Red Crow Mntn. There is also a description of Dancing Lady, nearby. This is a WONDERFUL series, with photos showing a redlined route around hazards and close-ups of whether to go right or left around that rock, false trails indicated, and so forth. it's my impression the bookstores in and contiguous to the Park carry them. The books can also be ordered from his website.

I am interested myself in the SE corner of the Park; as Todd says, it sees much less traffic. It's described as a somewhat beary area, likely because of small, fun lakes and relative lack of disturbances.

Marjorie
pitamakan
Gender?: Male

Post by pitamakan »

As snow hazards go, the one near the top of Firebrand isn't a bad one, and given the warm weather we've been having I'd guess it's pretty much gone by now. And I agree that Firebrand is a great hike ... it's not the very most spectacular pass in Glacier, but it's quite nice and it's blissfully quiet besides. The first couple miles are limited in views and sometimes brushy in spots -- and probably great bear country -- but it opens up really nicely after that.

Also agreed that Blake's books are a great resource ... they're the most detailed and easy-to-folow climbing instructions you're going to find anywhere. (If anything, my only concern is that they make some of the routes look almost too easy.) I'm not sure if the Conservancy stocks the books or not, but they're available in the Flathead and at Eddie's in Apgar.
calicotraveler

Post by calicotraveler »

Thanks for the great info and pictures! You've been a big help. :D
The mountains are calling and I must go.

Return to “Hiking”