Snow

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

MN Hikers
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Snow

Post by MN Hikers »

I am planning on coming to Glacier for the 1st time in 6 years, want to do Reynolds Mountain, Siyeh Pass, maybe Pollock, and Piegan Mountain. Date are July 27th - Aug 1st, I am starting to get worried about the snow, I love waterfalls and would like some snow on the ground to see them, but I hate crossing snow fields. Looking for an educated guess on snow conditions for those hikes in 2 weeks, my other option would be to cancel and come out the last week of August, I would like to avoid that if possible. Anyone been to Logan Pass lately? Wondering what the snow looks like, the trail status page for Siyeh pass does not look promising.
isleroyaleguy
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Snow

Post by isleroyaleguy »

Hey Mnhiker....I sent you a PM....last year.
take a look.
IRG
trevbo

Post by trevbo »

There was of lots of snow at logan's pass when I was there on July 5th but it's been crazy hot lately.

i think most of your plans should be ok by the end of july except maybe siyeh pass... Mt. Reynolds should be fine right now. Ditto for Pollock and Piegan (I was thinking of doing doing pollock and bishops cap this wkend.)

Siyeh pass might be doable in a couple of weeks but there could still be a snowfield or two past Preston park on the way up to the pass( you might be able to navigate around the snowfields to avoid walking on snow)... I'm guessing the valley down to sunrift gorge will probably still be snowbound but you would likely be able to do an out and back (returning the way you came) .
MN Hikers
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by MN Hikers »

Thanks for the update, I will keep my plans and do Sieyh August 1st to give me the best shot at it. I have never done this hike so not sure if I want to go up there if the trail is not mostly clear. If not I will pick another hike, I have never done the Hockey Ref, or Dawson Pitamaken, or Angel wing, or Ice Berg Lake, or Mt Clements, or 7 other hikes I want to do, I need to get out there more often.
Marmotman

Post by Marmotman »

I was driving back from Many last Sunday and noted that the boardwalk at Logan over to the base of Clements is still under snow. Once it shows though it will melt off fast. Two weeks ago when I climbed Clements you couldn't have climbed Reynolds on the front side. There was still snow on the narrow trail in front face. Last Sunday it looked like the front had melted totally off. Getting over there however was still dicey without an ice ax.

Return to “Hiking”