Oberlin Summit

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Mzambo
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Oberlin Summit

Post by Mzambo »

Hi Everyone,

Headed back out to Glacier for trip 3 in Aug, and this time I want my first peak in the worst way. I have been researching and hear that Oberlin is one of the most doable. I read PJ's nightmare story which almost had me 2nd thinking it. How difficult is it? How much scrambling/climbing is involved? Most difficult portion? We have one day targeted to do this hike, and of course weather will play a deciding factor. '

Thanks in advance!
Marie
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Re: Oberlin Summit

Post by Selkie »

Hi Marie,
I have not hiked Oberlin. The description in Climb Glacier National Park: Vol. 1. Logan Pass, the Garden Wall, and Siyeh Bend, by Blake Passmore, should be a good reference tool. There are good photos, with the route outlined in red, notable features (a rock, a snowfield) pointed out, and seemingly obvious paths that are not paths and should be avoided also indicated. I got my copy on, hmm, eBay. It's now being sold more widely in outfitters' shops, but you'll probably want to look at it in advance.
Will also send you a PM.
Mzambo
Donator
Donator

Post by Mzambo »

Thanks Selkie,

I just responded back to you on PM as well.
davidwayne
Gender?: Male

Post by davidwayne »

Oberlin is very doable and well worth it! The first half is well marked by an obvious trail. The second half, as you gain all the elevation, has you searching for cairns, but as long as you keep moving up, you'll get to a point where you can see the final destination. Good luck and enjoy!
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

From Blake Passmore's book, the route is 1.75 miles one way, and 1500 ft of elevation gain. It looks as though most of that gain occurs in the second half of the hike up.
A nice feather in the cap!
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

Oberlin was my first summit and really enjoyable. It is one of the easiest in the park and has spectacular views down the valley. Of course it is advisable to check in at the Pass visitor center to let them know your plan. Much of the lower meadows are off limits and there is a specified route that the rangers prefer you take.
McNeill78

Post by McNeill78 »

My wife and daughter did it last August and it was challenging but they were all smiles afterwards. You can always turn back as you near the steeper sections but will still have a great view for your efforts. There was some traffic on the route and it is above the tree line so less possibility of surprise encounters with a bear.
rjm
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by rjm »

As StMaryPete mentioned, the meadows will be closed to walking, so you'll take the trail out of the visitor center to the water tank, and continue on trail past a nice waterfall to the mountain. The trail splits, with one fork going to the saddle between Oberlin and Clements. The other fork goes back in the opposite direction, toward the Garden Wall. It rises first though a talus bowl, but then gets into scree chutes for the rest of the way up. The saddle route is easier.

Piegan may be the next on your list. It's a lot longer and higher, but no special challenge, especially if you come by the Piegan Pass Trail from Siyeh Bend. It's a bit longer that way. From Piegan Pass just head up to the saddle between Piegan and Pollack, then straight to the top. it's all walking, no actual climbing. You can also come up from Lunch Creek. It's shorter and steeper, and getting above the big waterfall isn't obvious at first, but no real trouble. Follow the trail from the the road at Lunch Creek to the waterfall, find the trail climbing up on the right side of the falls, then head for the saddle. People with extra energy come back to the saddle and climb Pollack, too, before heading down. Last summer i went up Lunch Creek to Piegan, then down to Piegan Pass and Siyeh, and hitch-hiked back to the car. You could catch the upbound shuttle.

I'm not sure i can recommend either Edwards' book or Passmore's books. You'll just read them, and then re-read them, and get second copies just in case, and then you won't be happy until summer comes and you're back in the Park. Or Passmore comes out with the next book. Check out Glacier Mountaineering http://www.glaciermountaineers.com/ Nice bunch of people ranging in age from 12 to 80+, and there are usually a few climbs every weekend, ranging from Oberlin and Piegan on up.

Return to “Hiking”