Stoney Indian pass vs Anderson carthew

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

danlowery

Stoney Indian pass vs Anderson carthew

Post by danlowery »

We will be in glacier and waterton sep 9-14. We have been several times and have several hikes planned. We would like, however, to get others' opinions about doing either stoney Indian pass from goat haunt or Anderson carthew in waterton. Any opinions from those who have hiked either or preferably both?

Thanks!
Dan
smahurin
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Stoney Indian pass vs Anderson carthew

Post by smahurin »

While I haven't done Carthew-Alderson yet (its on the itinerary this summer) I have done Stoney Indian pass. Stoney Indian pass is phenomenal if you hike it from the belly river side... but the waterton valley side is pretty unspectacular... and 4000ft vert. While its not a terrible hike as it does get very pretty once you get up to stoney indian lake, its heavily treed and very overgrown. There just aren't much in the way of views prior to stoney indian lake from the waterton side.

I would highly recommend stoney indian as a through hike from chief mountain customs to goat haunt though. That is a fantastic hike. Just don't do it as an out and back from goat haunt.
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

I tend to agree that Carthew-Alderson is a bit nicer than Stony Indian Pass from the Goat Haunt side. Actually I think I prefer the Crypt Lake hike to either one.
ND Sol
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by ND Sol »

I have done Stoney Indian Pass and Carthew-Alderson and would agree with the foregoing posts that the latter is probably better if the former is being done from Goat Haunt. And I would also agree about Crypt Lake being better than either with the ladder, cave and lake. It was unique to walk around to the head of Crypt Lake and eat my lunch there in the U.S.
Talusman
Donator
Donator

Post by Talusman »

ditto
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

I have done Carthew pass about 10 times and it is one of my favorites. Great variety, spectacular views and it ends at the Waterton Pub. What could be better? The last 4 miles down the canyon can be a bit boring and bring insect repellent. I like Crypt lake, have not done Stoney Indian.
derek.larson

Post by derek.larson »

...and for those who have also hiked Akamina Ridge, where does that rank?
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

Don't know about that one, but the Twin Lakes trail in Autumn is spectacular. The Aspen and Larch are grand!
trevbo

Post by trevbo »

...and for those who have also hiked Akamina Ridge, where does that rank?
Akamina ridge is one of Waterton's classic scrambles. Fantastic views south into GNP. I would not necessarily recommend Akamina to everyone because of the exposure and brief scrambly bits to access the ridge (off trail from forum lake). If however you are accustomed to class 3 routes in glacier, then go for it.

Return to “Hiking”