Olympic National Park June 2014

Have you visited another National Park, you would like to share, although most are Glacier Fanatics, we love to visit any National Park, let us know about your experience here!

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

elscout198
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Olympic National Park June 2014

Post by elscout198 »

First all I can say is its a beautiful park.

We spent 8 days based in Port Angeles and hiked every day but one (we took the ferry to Victoria, BC Canada that day which was fun but we needed more than the 6 hours we gave it)

meanwhile, some stunning water falls, a really blue lake and hiking above the marine layer is different

Day 1, drove up from SEATAC to Port Angeles, for the next 7 nights we will be at the 5 SEASUNS B & B (Really nice people, great breakfast and location)
http://www.seasuns.com/

Since the flight was late, it made us miss any doing any long hikes so, a short stroll to Madison Falls then dinner in town at Westside Pizza, with some great local beer on tap (Amber Ale tonight), African Amber, by Mac & Jack’s Brewing

Last edited by elscout198 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact it's all dark"
(Eclipse by Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon)
elscout198

Re: Olympic National Park June 2014

Post by elscout198 »

Day 2

After a wonderful breakfast at the B & B we need to wear out some calories !

So we hit the Dollar tree for the $1 ice chest and 2 $1 six packs of water and some snacks, then hit Safeway for some premade sandwiches and fruit and headed out of town to the Visitors Station to pick up maps, then headed to the Storm king Ranger Station. (In early June many of the Ranger Stations are not open, its too early for them) We wanted a water fall so Marymere Falls was first on the agenda.

We started near the Storm King Ranger Station on a paved path entered an old-growth forest for a half mile to a junction.

At the junction, follow the path, upstream under a canopy of conifers. Ferns and moss line the well-maintained trail.

Shortly beyond the Mount Storm King Trail junction, ( a later hike) we head right towards Marymere Falls. The trail crosses a Creek before ascending 200 feet into the mossy, ravine.

A really nice spot, to watch the falls after you hike up o the top or stay in the middle

This made our day, but we still hiked the Storm king trail sans many pictures as I got tired going up the 2,00 ft rise on the trail.

We did meet some wild life on the way down.

Had dinner back in town and had a nice RED HOOK made in Washington :arrow:
elscout198

Post by elscout198 »

Day 3 Go west !
Yes some 70 miles west is the Pacific Ocean and much more park to see, so hit the Deli in Forks, Washington which is a good stop (Forks Outfitters Thriftway Food Store, right on the highway) for some take out lunch sandwich and soup then headed west some more

First the Rocky beaches, drift logs, loud waves and views of seastacks are some of the features that define Rialto Beach.
First here's your sign

It was damp and windy and cool in the late morning in June.

if you hike they do mark (see above) where you can exit.

After some fun in the sand and our ceremonial touch the ocean, we headed to the Hoh Rain forest.

Had our remaining sandwiches under the trees, then headed into the Hall Of Mosses trail.

The 1.2 mile Spruce Nature Trail wanders through a deep forest that shows different stages of development and adaptation.

The 0.8 mile Hall of Mosses Trail has deeper and darker greenery, with vegetation growing on top of other vegetation.

This part of the forest gets 140 to 170 inches of rain per year, but it was not humid.

Nice looking campground and Forks is not too far away for supplies.

Had a real good dinner at Bella Italia back in Port Angeles, Wine (OH NO) from Walla Walla Vintners as DW wanted to split a bottle was great. :arrow:
joybird
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by joybird »

Thanks for sharing!

After leaving Glacier this past summer, I headed over into Washington for a bit. I'd hoped to include Olympic in my wander, but finally had to accept that there simply weren't enough hours in the day (or days till my flight!) to taste everything on my Washington list. So, I'm really happy to read your report and get a glimpse of some of what I missed. Keep the installments coming!
elscout198

Post by elscout198 »

Day 4, We got up early to catch the ferry to Victoria, BC, the B & B made us some nice items to go for breakfast in a bag :),
so after the 90 minute ferry ride we were in Canada.

The view going in

a few pictures

we spent a lot of time at the Royal BC Museum, great exhibit right now on Vikings, and some nice views of animals.
Funny part was the exhibit from the 1970's and 1980's made us feel so old. Stuff we grew up with is already 4o years old and in a museum :shock:

Had a nice beer (Phillips Hop Circle IPA) at Darcy's pub near the wharf and a good burger

Victoria feels like a nice place to see more of than we did in 6 hours, but we had to catch the ferry back at 7 (last one for the day) would recommend a full day, lots of hotels downtown and lots of folks walking with small luggage from the ferry.
elscout198

Post by elscout198 »

Day 5 & 6 Were both spent walking off big breakfasts !!

Both days we spent in and around Lake Crescent and the Sol Duc Valley. Lake Crescent is a stunning blue lake with trails on both side (which I will go over) Sol Duc Valley includes a nice campground and a spa with cabins for the hot springs. Both places were spectacular !
Day 5 first post
So as usual had to hike to a water fall, so why not the parks signature falls . An easy loop from the Sol Duc Hot Springs through towering old trees to a misty, mossy ravine that the Sol Duc River runs down into. Sol Duc Falls is among the most photographed waterfalls in Olympic.
The forest has Douglas fir, red cedar, and western hemlock trees that exceed 200 years old. The hike is fairly easy. So A few pictures along the way.

water on the way

the falls

elscout198

Post by elscout198 »

Day 5 and 6

Second Post.

As noted Lake Crescent is real nice blue colored lake that was glacially carved. A nice looking campground, a lodge and a resort all dot the lake.

We did the 4 mile one way (8 total ) Spruce railroad trail,

You can start by hiking through an old orchard graced with moss draped maples. You then drop down toward the lakeshore to the old railroad bed. You're now hiking what was once a 36-mile rail line built during World War I to haul spruce (once coveted for airplane manufacturing) to mills in nearby Port Angeles. (Ironically, the War ended days before the line was completed.) But the park took over and converted 4 miles of the rail road bed into a trail. (you can mountain bike this if your brave, a few step ills but over all flat)

You'll reach the trail's most scenic section, Devil Punchbowl after only 1 mile of hiking and its well, nice !!

A bad shot into the sun

Trees now hide most of the lake but it was a fun hike

You can scuba in a wet suit (thought I caught the flag but they were there)

had lunch on the beach (Albertsons pre made salads) with some sun people !

End of the trail

Return to “Other National Parks”