General Lodging information.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Apgar Village Lodge

Post by llholmes1948 »

rail freak wrote:Well, the Village Inn had a cancellation, so I now will be staying three nights there. I talked to the manager & he said they could watch my bags, if needed. So, I'm set now & eagerly awaiting this trip to GNP!!!
Thanx
That is great news and it is good to know that the Village Inn is an accommodating place. You won't have to sit at a picnic table guarding your luggage until your room is available after all.

Be sure to give us a report of your trip.

Lyman
rail freak
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by rail freak »

I'll be spending one day on the Red Bus Tour, probably another day hanging around Apgar just chilling, but looking for things to do. Any suggestions? ( I wont be driving )
Thanx
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

rail freak wrote:I'll be spending one day on the Red Bus Tour, probably another day hanging around Apgar just chilling, but looking for things to do. Any suggestions? ( I wont be driving )
Thanx
Rather than just hanging around Apgar, I would suggest that you take the Park shuttle to Logan Pass and perhaps do a hike around there, or do the Avalanche Lake hike. Even though you will be going to Logan Pass on the Red Bus tour there is no reason not to go back the next day on the Park shuttle.

You might also try to link up with someone with a vechicle and do the Apgar Lookout trail. A raft trip would also be a good way to spend part of the day.

The bookstore at the Belton (West Glacier) train station would be a good place to visit as well.

I would also suggest that you take advantage of the ranger talks at Apgar.

Lyman
rail freak

Post by rail freak »

I've changed my plans a little, since Amtrak is having so much congestion on the Empire builder. I'll be arriving on the East Bound Train on Monday morning & departing on the West Bound train Thursday evening. This basicly gives me another day in Glacier, which is great!!! Because of my circulation issues, I dont drive & cant walk very far. Is the transit center( shuttle pick up) close to the Village Inn??? Is Sun Tours any different than the Red Busses?
Thanx
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

You should be all set as the shuttle buses do stop at Apgar Village:

http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/shuttlestops.htm

My understanding is that the first shuttles to serve Apgar Village begin at 9:00 A.M. so the earliest shuttles do not stop at the Village. You will be able to get more information at the VIsitors Center in Apgar.

Maybe someone knows the distance between the transit center and Apgar Village and perhaps it is on the Park website somewhere. I would say it is about a ten minute walk but that is just a guess as I have never walked it. Too far to walk if you have trouble walking. If you need to get to the transit center I would ask around Apgar and see if someone can give you a ride.

As I recall the place where the ranger talks are held in Apgar is a short walk from the village.

Yes Sun Tours is different than the Red Bus tours. Maybe someone who has been on both can give you a recommendation. The Park Service website should also have some information.

Lyman
rail freak

Post by rail freak »

That's great news! I'll make the most of the shuttle, for sure!!
Thanx Again
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Unless things have changed, the shuttle stops to pickup hikers at the Back Country Office in Apgar at 0700, or just after.
It's just a block or so from the Inn.
The shuttle begins at the Transport Center at 0700 and then comes to Apgar.
From Apgar it begins its run to Logan pass with stops at
Sprague
Lake MCDonald
Avalanche
The Loop

Transport center isn't far from Apgar Village. There may be a hiking path through the woods that cuts down the distance you'd walk on the road. I'm not sure about that though.

pocketlint :wink:

EDIT ADD

I guess I was wrong about stoipping at the BC Office :(
here is the schedule

http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/usingshuttle.htm

Return to “Lodging”