Mommas With Their Babies--for Horse Lovers :)

Even though Glacier is the focal point, the Flathead and the surrounding area presents boundless activities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Pocketlint

Mommas With Their Babies--for Horse Lovers :)

Post by Pocketlint »

This video is the same one I posted in my recent Trip Report on Logan Pass and MT40.
I thought I'd put it here as well.

I'd like to reiterate my lil warning about trying to get too close to these "free ranging" herds of horses.
These horses are not technically "wild", but should be treated as such.
Horses are just like any other animal. The Moms will defend their young---sometimes "with vigor" as I put it. 8)
So, in my humble opinion, one should keep a safe distance from these horses when stopping to take pics.
That said, you never really know with animals what the "safe distance" is.
Horses are obviously BIG animals and can move very quickly. You can't run away from a angry mare anymore than you can run from a bear sow.
Horses can kick, bite and stomp you. You'll see them going after each other in the video, including a couple "kicking" moments!
Be safe when watching any of these animals in and around the park.

I hope y'all like this video. It's HD and runs about 14 minutes.

Mommas With Their Babies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP8qHlmkqLI

Pocketlint :wink:
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Mommas With Their Babies--for Horse Lovers :)

Post by teapot57 »

Didn't intend to sit and watch all 14 minutes of the video but I got sucked in and did just that! What beautiful, impressive creatures. And the scenery was just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

how bout some pics of these beautiful creatures in february, exposed on ice and snow in 60 plus mph winds?
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

scott-atl wrote:how bout some pics of these beautiful creatures in february, exposed on ice and snow in 60 plus mph winds?
Hehehehe! They wouldn't look so comfortable then would they?
Actually, as you probably know better than I...these horses are very hardy and grew up in that harsh environment.
They will always find some shelter down in treed areas or draws, etc.
And some, the weak, the old and sick..will die. That is Nature's way.
Survival of the fittest, Darwinism.
Maybe why all these animals looked very healthy...survivors--REAL survivors--unlike the BS "survivors" on the TV shows.

And thank you Teapot. I enjoyed videoing the horses. The are indeed impressive.
I could have stayed there a lot longer but had to get back home Monday :(

pocketlint :wink:
ynpwolfluvr
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by ynpwolfluvr »

That was thoroughly enjoyable. I love horses and didn't know there were any like that in the area, just free ranging. I hope we have a chance to visit that area and see them. When we are in Yellowstone I always have to stop at the corrals and visit the trail horses and drafts that pull the big wagons to the cookout. I find them just as interesting as bears and wolves and other wildlife. :)
Yellowstone...where my heart says, "Ahhhh!"
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

these horses have 'owners'. many are rounded up during the summer and ridden for family recreation, to work cows, and used in celebrations. then turned loose to fend for themselves in the fall and winter. a disgraceful, inhumane practice.

it is an amazing annual survivor story.

Return to “Areas Surrounding Glacier”