Many Glacier Campground

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

akunkle
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Many Glacier Campground

Post by akunkle »

Does anyone have advice regarding getting at site at the Many Glacier Campground? We will be arriving in the park on a Monday evening. I'm planning on reserving a spot at St. Mary's for Monday night, but I'm thinking about trying to move to Many Glacier the next morning. We have several hikes planned from there, so it would be much more convenient to camp there. If we arrive fairly early in the morning (8-9am), do you think we'll have any trouble getting a spot? Feedback from anyone who has done this would be welcome.

Thanks,
Andy
July Guy
Donator
Donator

Post by July Guy »

We've done this, and will again this summer. Sounds like you pretty much have it figured out. If you show up around 9 you should be fine. Last year we didn't get there until 10:30 and got THE very last spot.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Hockey Ref »

There's a campground status page on the GNP website (link below). It tracks the times that each campground filled the previous day. Check this page in the days leading up to your visit to get an idea of when you need to show up at the Many Glacier campground.

http://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/c ... status.cfm
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
akunkle
Donator
Donator

Post by akunkle »

Thanks everyone. I think we will plan on trying to get a spot in Many Glacier. Checking the park website in the days leading up to our trip is a good idea to get a feel for how early it's filling up. That site is a useful tool!

Thanks,
Andy
jiminmt

Post by jiminmt »

When the kids were younger we would do something similar to what you are planning. We would get to St. Mary late in the day and setup temporairly (either the campground or we would get a room/cabin). Early the next morning the boys and I would head to Many Glacier letting the gals sleep. Once there we would park the vehicle and start walking the campground. If we spotted an empty site to our liking we would move in. If things were still full, we would look for someone leaving that day and ask if we could have their campsite after they left. We never failed to get a good spot. While waiting for the spot to clear out, we would either get breakfast at Swiftcurrent or take a short hike to Fishercap Lake to look for moose. After camp was set up we would head back to St Mary and pick up the wife and daughter.
k2kelley
Donator
Donator

many glacier

Post by k2kelley »

I have pulled into the MG campground around 9-am and simply sat in the car watching who was packing up. I then inquire as to the potential to take their spot when they leave and if they are okay with it, I pay and put on my tag. I am then free to hit the trails and reurn to a site later in the day

Return to “Camping”