Got a Permit!

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Firehole
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Got a Permit!

Post by Firehole »

Goat Haunt Shelter, Mokawanis Junction, Glenns Lake Foot, and Elizabeth Lake Head, 8/1 through 8/4.

We requested Stoney Indian instead of Mokawanis Junction and Elizabeth Lake Foot instead of Elizabeth Lake Head, we'll have to try for those when we pick up the permit!

Len
How hot do you want it? Better have your hole pre-dug.....
--------------------
http://www.firehole.us
sj in cal
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by sj in cal »

From what I've seen posted, Mokowanis Junction is a poor substitute for Stoney. You might want to try Mokowanis Lake if Stoney is not available. Besides, we may be competing for a walk-up permit at Stoney on the 2nd, although the 3rd works better for me. Good luck!
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

I totally agree. Mokawanis Junction is probably my least favorite campground among the many I've stayed at in Glacier. It's way back in the woods with no views. Mokawanis Lake is a huge improvement, as is Glenns Lake Head. Both offer nice views and are lakefront.
Squilax

Post by Squilax »

Elizabeth Lake Head had some of the best backcountry fishing I've ever experienced. But, if you're not a fisherman, that may not matter...
19rainman

is elizabeth lake head better then foot?

Post by 19rainman »

we are staying at foot. Also, what are your thought about cooking and eating the fish in bear country?
dorf

Post by dorf »

I have to think you'll be thrilled with MOJ, sucky as it is, after hiking the 14 miles and the 3000' elevation gain to get there from Goat Haunt.

This is the most scenic pic I could find from the campsite (The yellow and blue tent is ours which shows how little privacy there is as well).

The trip to get there, however, is spectacular.

So many mountains, so little time.
Alpine Artist
Donator
Donator

Post by Alpine Artist »

If you can get Mokowanis Lake instead of Mokowanis Junction, it will be well worth the little extra distance!! We did Goat Haunt up and over Stoney Indian Pass through Cosley and Glann Lakes in 2001. We had two nights at Mokowanis Lake. The campsite is unbelievable- in a double cirque with waterfall and great day-hike up to Margaret Lake if possible. Descriptions of Mokowanis Junction are accurate- it's like the just made a campsite on the forest floor to break up mileage in between the pretty lakes. If you sleep there, don't go see Mokowanis Lake- it'll just make you mad. You don't hear a lot of people talk about Mokowanis Lake because it's a little out of the way- I think that's what we liked about it!

Return to “Backcountry Permits”