Glacier's shuttle update

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Glacier's shuttle update

Post by llholmes1948 »

Note the following from the Sperry Chalet FAQs if you are not an overnight guest and would like to get meals at the Chalet:

"Can we get meals at Sperry Chalet even if we are not overnight guests?

Yes. The dining room is open to the public from 11:30 to 5:00 every day. We have a delicious lunch menu of soups, sandwiches and snacks. (Try the homemade bread, it is excellent.) For dinner or breakfast, reservations are required. Please call the reservation office to make arrangements. 1-888-345-2649"
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

The food is excellent at Sperry imo.
I had a couple grill cheese sandwiches with homemade tomato soup last time I was there....having backpacked in from Lake Ellen Wilson, the last mile or so in a cold rain :(
I did kinda envy the people in the chalet since I had to sleep in my tent in the CG that night.
Bring plenty of money 'cause while the food is great, it ain't cheap. 8)

pocketlint :wink:
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

Hockey Ref wrote:Lyman, unfortunately, the "ideal" situation you describe is not possible for this trip as we don't have an additional day to spend (the hike out after Lake Ellen Wilson is our final day in the park). But you're right that I haven't seen this area before, so I'm glad to know how worthwhile it is.
Ref,

Here is another thought. It is only about two and a half miles from Lake Ellen Wilson to Sperry Chalet. So if you get an early start out of Gunsight Lake, you could set up camp at Lake Ellen Wilson and then hike over to the Chalet and back and see that scenery that you have been missing. Of course the climb from Gunsight Lake to Gunsight Pass is rather strenuous. You also may not want to leave your things unprotected at Lake Ellen Wilson if there are pesky deer or marmots around.

Lyman
pitamakan
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by pitamakan »

llholmes1948 wrote: Here is another thought. It is only about two and a half miles from Lake Ellen Wilson to Sperry Chalet. So if you get an early start out of Gunsight Lake, you could set up camp at Lake Ellen Wilson and then hike over to the Chalet and back and see that scenery that you have been missing. Of course the climb from Gunsight Lake to Gunsight Pass is rather strenuous. You also may not want to leave your things unprotected at Lake Ellen Wilson if there are pesky deer or marmots around.

Lyman
Heh ... this made me think of a time a friend and I were camped at Ellen Wilson back in the early 80s. After dinner, we'd consolidated pretty much everything we weren't going to need overnight into one of our two packs, and hung it from the bear pole. The second pack (mine) was basically empty at that point, and we ended up just leaning it against a rock or something outside our tent. Well, in the middle of the night we suddenly heard the sounds of a large animal snuffling around the tent, and we thought we were dead. When one of us finally got the nerve to look out, we discovered a mountain goat happily licking my backpack! I'd been hiking without a shirt the day before, and the goat was after the perspiration salt.

My pack was still a little soggy the next morning. :)

Return to “Road Information and Transportation”