Steripen Adventurer Optic

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Pocketlint

Steripen Adventurer Optic

Post by Pocketlint »

Hey everyone!
for my 1000th post:
Here's a lame video "review" of my Steripen Adventurer Optic I carried on yesterday's Columbia Mtn hike.

pocketlint :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMSVQB2c ... e=youtu.be
Deb1741
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Steripen Adventurer Optic

Post by Deb1741 »

Costco here in Billings has a Steripen Traveler combo for $49.99 that I've been looking at. The combo has the steripen, 1 liter bottle and a pre-filter included. Don't know if that's a good deal or not.
Deb
"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast" ~ unknown
"Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way" ~ Dr. Suess
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Deb1741 wrote:Costco here in Billings has a Steripen Traveler combo for $49.99 that I've been looking at. The combo has the steripen, 1 liter bottle and a pre-filter included. Don't know if that's a good deal or not.
Deb
I think that model is more for indoor use when traveling overseas.
I'm not sure it would stand up to the rigors of hiking, but I may be wrong.
$49.99 is the quoted retail price from their site. I would have thought Costco would price it better, but again, I dunno.
The model I have is $99.99 :shock: at Sportsmans here in WF. I went in there this AM when getting my mail next door. Forgot to check at Army-Navy.
I think I got mine on sale for $69.99 from online someplace LOL forget
Here's what you want if you want one. No need for a bottle, etc. About as good a price as you'll find.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... EBEPMCMAg#

Deb1741

Post by Deb1741 »

Pocketlint wrote:
Deb1741 wrote:Costco here in Billings has a Steripen Traveler combo for $49.99 that I've been looking at. The combo has the steripen, 1 liter bottle and a pre-filter included. Don't know if that's a good deal or not.
Deb
I think that model is more for indoor use when traveling overseas.
I'm not sure it would stand up to the rigors of hiking, but I may be wrong.
$49.99 is the quoted retail price from their site. I would have thought Costco would price it better, but again, I dunno.
The model I have is $99.99 :shock: at Sportsmans here in WF. I went in there this AM when getting my mail next door. Forgot to check at Army-Navy.
I think I got mine on sale for $69.99 from online someplace LOL forget
Here's what you want if you want one. No need for a bottle, etc. About as good a price as you'll find.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... EBEPMCMAg#

I kinda figured it wasn't a real sturdy model after some researching on the internet. They've sure sold a lot of them already. I need to go next weekend to the Sports Authority store here in Billings. I got a 20% off the purchase of one item coupon that I have to use by the end of the month. I thought I'd look to see if they had the grill/stove combo I'm looking at. It they don't have it I'll look at their steripens or some other item for my camping stash. I wonder if they carry cartop cargo boxes- I need to buy one and they cost 2 arms and 2 legs so 20% would be a nice discount.
Deb
"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast" ~ unknown
"Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way" ~ Dr. Suess
calicotraveler

Post by calicotraveler »

We got a steripen a couple of years ago. Great little item. We use it for foreign travel and for hiking. As long as we know we can find water on the trail we don't need to carry so much. Highly recommend this. We got ours from Amazon.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
Marmotman
Gender?: Male

Post by Marmotman »

I'm on my third one so far. My daughters keep "borrowing" them for overseas travel and they somehow forget to give them back. :roll: My current model is the optic. Picked it up last year and used it all last summer with no issues. The one I had previously was the one with the 2 electrodes that ran a small current through the water to determine if it was submerged or not. I had an issue right below Sperry Glacier where (I assume) the water was too pure to conduct electricity so it wouldn't turn on. The optic solves this problem by shining a small light in the water to turn it on. I haven't used my MSR filter for about 5 years now.
Jen

Post by Jen »

I got a Steripen for Mother's Day last year. My newly rescued Blood Hound chewed the heck out of it before I had a chance to try it out. :(

The one issue I have with the Steripen VS. my MSR miniworks is the that the Steripen doesn't filter out any floaters. I am not a fan of grit in my teeth :wink:
calicotraveler

Post by calicotraveler »

We bought a small flexible plastic filter that was advertised with the steripen. We use it to filter out grit, etc when necessary. Works well! :D
The mountains are calling and I must go.
JWB475

Post by JWB475 »

I used the Adventurer Opti on my 5 day backpacking trip in Glacier last summer. It performed well, however the batteries died on Day 4. They were the batteries that came with it, so I do not know how good they were to begin with. By my estimates I think I probably purified 30 to 40 liters before they died. They are supposed to purify 80 liters per set of batteries. I had extra batteries so I replaced them and it continued to work with no issues (I did have some water treatment tablets as a back up, and enough fuel to boil water if needed). The Opti takes the fancy CR123 lithium batteries, so make sure you bring extra batteries and have a backup.

Consequently we met another party at a campsite the first day that had a different model that took normal AAA batteries, they didn't have any and theirs was dead (they had plenty of AA batteries though). They still had a couple nights left in the backcountry, not sure what they did the rest of the way.
Marmotman

Post by Marmotman »

I was at the dentist last week flipping through some magazines in the waiting room. I ran across an ad for a water bottle with a built in steripen like light in the lid. Hmmm. Time to upgrade.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”