Zip Sierra stove

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

trevbo
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Zip Sierra stove

Post by trevbo »

http://www.zzstove.com/sierratt.html check it out! Anyone ever used something like this? They used to have 'em at rei, I believe.

It's basically a twig stove. I know, you're probably like, "Say what?" right now.

The idea is if you have an efficient stove you can cook a meal with very little wood (ok for boiling water for dehydrated meals, for example). It's a bit expensive for a twig stove but looks pretty sweet. I think if you brought cotton balls and alcoholic would be a good idea as a back up in case it rains and you have no dry material. Not sure what the rules are for using this in the back country (is it considered a fire or the same as cooking with any other stove?)

This is of interest to me because #1 I am totally a pyromaniac :) and #2 a decade plus back I spent a couple of years working for an NGO (ie low pay) working on household cooking issues in SE Asia (you'd be surprised at how many people in the world cook their food with wood or charcoal... I've always wanted to build a pop can stove too but funny how pyromaniac hobbies get pushed to the background as life's duties pile up!
Pocketlint

Re: Zip Sierra stove

Post by Pocketlint »

Hey Trevbo:

I had one of those things back when. Got a lil battery powered fan in it? That the one?
It worked ok for me playing around with it. I'm a fellow pyro guy. Set off a whiskey crate full of flares, cones, bottle rockets, and other assorted non explosive stuff in my bedroom when I was 12. All my M-80's(the real deal then) and other explosive stuff I had fortunately put in a separate crate...Short story is I never was allowed fireworks again...ever.
Anyhow, I think in GP it would be illegal unless in a campsite where you would be allowed to gather wood....which ain't many.

Tiz, whom I helped with transportation, had one of those "caldera cone" things???[Google it] that use esbit tabs. Weighs nothing for all pracical purposes. He did a 10 day backpack with it. You might like that thing.

pocketlint :wink:

PS

And no I wouldn't be surprised at how many people use charcoal or wood to cook with. I spent a lot of time in the Philippines on 2 WestPac cruises, 1970 and 72-73. Not a great plan in the long run. Look at what's happened in Haiti. There ain't a tree bigger than a rosebush left in that whole friggin country.
trevbo
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Zip Sierra stove

Post by trevbo »

Thanks pocket... That's too bad but I guess the rules are the rules.
I guess i should learn how to use the search function before posting lol... this has been brought up briefly b4
http://glacier.nationalparkschat.com/ph ... ilit=Stove

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”