Which lenses to bring?

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

stevehollx
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Which lenses to bring?

Post by stevehollx »

We're doing a few 10 mile days, and of course it would be a sin to not carry my DSLR camera.

I have the following lenses for a cropped sensor camera:
Tokina 11-16/f2.8 Ultra Wide
Tamron 17-50/f2.8
Canon 55-250/f4-5.6
Canon 50/f1.8

Considering weight is a big consideration for overnight backpacking, I'm trying to figure out what lenses to bring, and I think 2 lenses is all I should probably drag around. What do you recommend?

I was thinking the 17-50 since it is the most versatile, and the 55-250 for wildlife/macro(I have a closeup filter).

The Tokina is super sharp and nice and wide, though. But it's quite heavier than the others. I'm not opposed to picking it in replace of the 17-50 or 55-250, if it makes sense to have a lens that wide for Glacier.

What lens lengths to others end up bringing?
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Re: Which lenses to bring?

Post by Hockey Ref »

You definitely want a wide-angle lens in Glacier. For long day hikes or overnights I carry a Canon 18-135mm and a Canon 75-300mm for my 7D body. For shorter hikes or "cruisin' for critters" by car I carry a Canon EF 100-400mm IS. It's a bit hefty for long hikes, especially when you lug a tripod along with it.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Just make sure to bring your favorite lens. Don't leave it behind because it "logically" didn't make sense to bring it.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
calicotraveler
Gender?: Female

Post by calicotraveler »

If I were you I'd probably carry the Tamron 17-50 (works for most things and includes a wide angle) and the Canon 55-250 (for animal sightings at a distance). The Tokina would be a wonderful addition but you may not use it enough to make it worth carrying the weight. The Canon 50mm is a light lens but the Tamron 17-50 will probably make bringing this lens not necessary. Anyway, that's my suggestion.

I'd save the Tokina for when you're doing shorter hikes or even when you're driving around in the car and weight is not an issue. Actually when I hike I bring only a Nikon 18-55 lens as my 70-300 seems very heavy after awhile. (Sometimes I can convince someone else to carry this lens for me). :D

Enjoy your trip and I'm looking forward to seeing your photos!
The mountains are calling and I must go.

Return to “Photography”