Summit pack?

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

trevbo
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Summit pack?

Post by trevbo »

A summit pack is for when you hike-in and set up a base camp and then you go peakbagging or hiking the next day... after setting up your tent, rather than lugging your big pack along the next day, a summit pack is a smaller (generally foldable) pack that doesn't weigh much and you can tuck away. I've seen a few of these but anyone have a favorite one?

Not having a suitable pack, I usually end up simply lugging my ginormous 80 l (20 gal) backpack (warning: if you have a pack this big, you may end up carrying the bear barrel just cuz have the space!) This backpack of mine noticeably weighs something even empty and feels a tad awkward for scrambles.

I inherited an all nylon pack from my grandpa that weighs zippo, but it is not very robust... I have always thought I would reinforce it one day but my sewing skills are pretty poor and as it's so old, maybe not worth it.

This is a pack I've been looking at (I am also looking to use as a new day pack, so kills two birds with one stone - but maybe not the comfiest day pack or the lightest summit pack, but looks like it subscribes to the k.I.S.S rule!)

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 4302699687
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Re: Summit pack?

Post by Ear Mountain »

Thanks for posting that link. I have a Black Diamond pack that I use for a summit pack. I took out the kevlar stiffener and it works great. I can roll it up into a relatively small package. The MEC Alpinelite goes that one better. Supposedly you can pull out the back padding and that allows the pack to fold up into its own pocket. I like that.

The 30 liter capacity of the long size might be a little small for me. I'm a big guy and all my clothes are extra large.

I generally follow one of three methods when climbing during mountaineering trips:
1. I carry a small summit pack rolled up for summits that are close to my base camp or summits that do not require too much specialized gear.

2. For summits that are really close to base camp or those requiring only a very short climb I'd just use my regular backpack without its top pouch.

3. For technical summits where extra gear is required (i.e. ropes, helmet, crampons, webbing, pitons, and other hardware, etc. etc.) I'll strap a larger climbing pack onto the back of my backpack. The larger day pack will be used for the climb. This is cumbersome but I prefer not to use my backpack for technical climbs because of the possibility of hanging it up during pack hauling.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Marmotman

Post by Marmotman »

I'm a big fan of REI stuff. Check out REI.com and look for either their Flash 18 or Flash 30 packs. I have both and actually do my dayhiking with the 30. They are both very light. The 18 is very basic but only weighs something like 10 ounces and folds down to nothing. You can use it as a stuff sack in your big bag. I use it when I only need to take some basics along like water and a coat (and first aid).The 30 can be stripped down by taking the frame sheet out so it rolls up nicely also. You can fit quite a bit in a 30. I'm not sure if REI is available to our friends to the north though. :mrgreen:
trevbo

Post by trevbo »

Ralph: I like your strategy. Makes sense. I also feel that a 30 litre bag is on the small side... with careful packing (stuffing, squishing) I can usually get by. My go-to bag used to be a 28 litre pack (twas unfortunately stolen a from the back of a friend's car... maybe that was a sign that I need to get a larger pack??????)

Marmotman: Thanks for suggesting the Flash 18 or 30 at REI. The flash 18 looks like a true summit pack, and the 30 looks much better than the MEC alpenlite as a daypack. I hadn't checked out their website in awhile - highly attractive webshopping esp. with the clearance sales and specials! I have bought stuff through REI in the past - they do not have stores in Canada but they do ship here... though depending on the country of origin of the product, there sometimes are extra duty/brokerage fees applied (highly confusing and an unpleasant surprise when you go to pick up your parcel and you have to pay some unexpected fees).

I was telling my wife that I want to buy another pack, and she being the financial-type, suggested I put together a business plan to explain why I need another pack. Seems between the two of us we are starting to have an impressive collection of packs! Hmmm, I recently won a Deuter biking pack as a door prize - maybe I can sell that on ebay to raise funds?

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”