Four day visit

General Lodging information.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

lynnepev
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Four day visit

Post by lynnepev »

This is my first post after trying to gain the info I need from the forums. Thank you; they are helpful. However, we are going to be at Glacier for four days (7/19-23) arriving on Amtrak and flying out of Kalispell. Our rental car has limited mileage. It seems best to stay in the Many Glacier area but I am having difficulty finding lodging there close to the park. I would welcome any suggestions, especially whether to break our stay up ...two nights one place, two another. Besides some easy hiking we would like to do the red bus tour on the GTTS road and perhaps a boat ride too.
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Four day visit

Post by toddnick »

I would stay 3 nights on the East side of the Park and the last night on the West side (nearer the airport)....

Many Glacier is my favorite area but if you can't get anything at MG Hotel or Swiftcurrent (keep checking for cancellations, they often happen in the months until Summer), and want to stay in the Park, Rising Sun is in a great location where you are only about 40-45 minutes from Many Glacier and also close to Logan Pass (also Rising Sun is a Glacier Park Inc. property like those in the MG area and if you get a cancellation in the MG area they are great about changing your reservation).....
Tara

Post by Tara »

I agree that 3 nights in the MG area and one night on the west side would be good. One important thing to know is what your criteria are for lodging. If rustic, no frills is ok, you could try Johnson's of St. Mary:
www.johnsonsofstmary.com
It's pretty "tired" but clean and reasonable. You still would have to drive into Many Glacier but it isn't that far. Another option is Thronson's Motel in Babb. Kathy stayed there last fall and raved about it. I don't think there is a website but the phone is 406-732-5530.

There is also the Glacier Trailhead Cabins in St. Mary: http://www.glaciertrailheadcabins.com/
I believe these are a little nicer than what you will get at Johnsons. I know Thronsons has done some remodeling recently but I'm not sure if it was all or just some of their rooms.

As Toddnick said, keep checking back on the GPI website or call, every day if you can. Something may open up.

Good luck with your planning!
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Good suggestions here. Be aware that accomodations are much more plentiful at East Glacier and West Glacier/Apgar than at St. Mary and Babb unless you include the St. Mary Resort which some of us find too expensive to consider.

So unless you luck out and get accomodations at Many Glacier or Swiftcurrent, you will need to check out the limited choices at Babb and St. Mary. We have stayed at Thronsons several times and it is fine. It does not offer great scenery right at the motel and is right next to the highway but it is very convenient with the store next door and the Babb Press restaurant across the highway. Many Glacier is about 12 miles away and St. Mary is 9 miles away.

If you cannot find anything at Many Glacier, Swiftcurrent, Babb or St. Mary (or Rising Sun as Toddnick suggests), I would suggest using East Glacier as your base on the east side and a night at Apgar on the west side.

Hope you have a great trip and will post a report.

Lyman
lynnepev

Post by lynnepev »

Thanks to all for your help. I was able to get three nights at Thronson's and now just need to book our last night before flying out of Kalispell. We generally do NOT need luxurious lodging but since it is our last night after a long trip out West it might be nice to spend it in somewhere special on the west side of GNP. We do not fly out until late afternoon so would have most of two days to enjoy that area. Do you have specific hotels/motels that you would recommend for that one night? Again, your help is so very much appreciated.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

lynnepev wrote:Thanks to all for your help. I was able to get three nights at Thronson's and now just need to book our last night before flying out of Kalispell. We generally do NOT need luxurious lodging but since it is our last night after a long trip out West it might be nice to spend it in somewhere special on the west side of GNP. We do not fly out until late afternoon so would have most of two days to enjoy that area. Do you have specific hotels/motels that you would recommend for that one night? Again, your help is so very much appreciated.
For a first choice, I would suggest staying at Apgar. Second choice would be Lake McDonald Lodge. Others may have other suggestions or different priorities.

Since Thronson's is right by the highway, there is some highway noise. In the past we have run the box fan in the room on a low setting all night and it creates enough gray noise so the highway noise doesn't bother us. Same thing works at the old section of the Circle R in East Glacier and at the Glacier Highland at West Glacier to muffle the highway and train noise at those locations.

As I recall one room at Thronsons has an air conditioner (second floor room closest to the store) while the others have box fans.

Lyman
Tara

Post by Tara »

Lake McDonald Lodge is definitely something you should consider, as Lyman said. Not "luxury" in the sense of big city luxury but it's quite nice and a beautiful setting. If you think that looks good but you can't get a room right now, make reservations elsewhere but keep checking back. I can just about guarantee something would open up if you check back frequently. Otherwise there is either the Apgar Village Inn or the Apgar Village Lodge. If you don't need to stay in the park there are a lot of lodging choices outside the park but nearby, including b&b's. I'm sure someone will speak up with suggestions for those.
July Guy
Donator
Donator

Post by July Guy »

Tara wrote:Lake McDonald Lodge is definitely something you should consider, as Lyman said. Not "luxury" in the sense of big city luxury but it's quite nice and a beautiful setting. If you think that looks good but you can't get a room right now, make reservations elsewhere but keep checking back. I can just about guarantee something would open up if you check back frequently. Otherwise there is either the Apgar Village Inn or the Apgar Village Lodge. If you don't need to stay in the park there are a lot of lodging choices outside the park but nearby, including b&b's. I'm sure someone will speak up with suggestions for those.
I agree with Tara. Try for the lodge and keep trying. It may even be "Christmas in July" while you are there. May want to ask chatter gnp_photo as it appears that he/she works there. Great lodge. Boat rides depart from the lodge as well.
"So how was your trip to Minnesota, or Canada, or wherever it is you go?"

~ Coworker
lynnepev

Post by lynnepev »

Lake McDonald Lodge shows no availability for 7/22, the one night we want to stay in the area on the west side. I can book Tamarack Lodge. Should I go ahead (50% fee is nonrefundable) or keep trying longer for Lake McDonald. Are they comparable? Thanks.
Tara

Post by Tara »

Hmmmm...I know nothing about Tamarack but I still think if you check back every day or two something will open up for that date. Maybe try and find something comparable to Tamarack, as a backup, that doesn't have such a stiff cancellation penalty? If it were me and I only had 4 days, I'd want to stay in the park if possible.
Jen

Post by Jen »

There are almost always cancellations because people are forced to book so far in advance. If you are diligent I think your chances are good. I think would give it a bit more time.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

lynnepev wrote:Lake McDonald Lodge shows no availability for 7/22, the one night we want to stay in the area on the west side. I can book Tamarack Lodge. Should I go ahead (50% fee is nonrefundable) or keep trying longer for Lake McDonald. Are they comparable? Thanks.
I believe Tamarack Lodge has been mentioned on the Chat but I am not familiar with it. This is your decision but personally I would avoid places that have unfriendly cancellation policies.

My recommendation would be to book a room at the Glacier Highland (which I don't believe has an onerous cancellation policy) as a backup. It is a very adequate but not luxurious place. Another backup would be the Belton Chalet, somewhat more upscale but I don't know what their cancellation policy is.

Then after securing a room at one of these places I would recommend that you periodically call GPI to see if you can get a vacancy at Lake McDonald Lodge or at their Village Inn in Apgar. Or at the Apgar Village Lodge (not run by GPI). I agree with Jen. Don't give up this early. Cancellations do take place thoughout the summer.

Lyman

Return to “Lodging”