Wilderness Volunteer week, Glacier and elsewhere

Even though Glacier is the focal point, the Flathead and the surrounding area presents boundless activities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Wilderness Volunteer week, Glacier and elsewhere

Post by Selkie »

Wilderness Volunteers, http://www.wildernessvolunteers.org, is sponsoring a week in Glacier, Sept. 11-17, 2011. There are other neat trips in the vicinity; I have my eye on the Wind River Mountains. At $299, which covers cost of food, group insurance, and other necessities, it's a pretty cheap way to enjoy the views while building puncheons at Many Glacier.
gnp_photo
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Re: Wilderness Volunteer week, Glacier and elsewhere

Post by gnp_photo »

Yeah, that seems like a great idea, never heard of that organization before.
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

This group always does the same week in September in Glacier; the last two years they had the group campsite along Swiftcurrent Creek in the Many Glacier Campground. I spent some time talking to the group in 2009, as I was in the adjacent site. Nice people, they did a lot of trail work, but had a lot of fun!!!!
wanderer
Gender?: Male

Post by wanderer »

Is it a coincidence i have that week as vacation this year? Haha, makes you wonder. There are lots of other dates and locations as well.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

I've sent my check for the AMC's August Camp, in Canadian Rockies, either 1st or 2nd week of August (whatever week follows I'll plan to spend in Glacier) and am thinking about Denali for the Wilderness Volunteer week. Alaska is a bit daunting, and it will give me a focus, plus should be fun, if backbreaking work extending a footpath through hard rock and sapling tangles can be construed as fun. (Sure, why not!) Days 1 and 7 spent entering and exiting the area, days 2-5 working, day 6 sightseeing with a free bus pass from the park.
Tara

Post by Tara »

I've sent my check for the AMC's August Camp, in Canadian Rockies, either 1st or 2nd week of August (whatever week follows I'll plan to spend in Glacier) and am thinking about Denali for the Wilderness Volunteer week. Alaska is a bit daunting, and it will give me a focus, plus should be fun, if backbreaking work extending a footpath through hard rock and sapling tangles can be construed as fun. (Sure, why not!) Days 1 and 7 spent entering and exiting the area, days 2-5 working, day 6 sightseeing with a free bus pass from the park.
Sounds awesome!
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

Thanks, Tara! I have to gin up a little excitement and motivation in my life.
I'm particularly interested in the AMC's August camp in Canadian Rockies. The August camp rarely repeats location, and it is based somewhere near Banff, so by adding Glacier I'll get double the pleasure for one airfare.
The Wilderness Volunteer weeks do repeat location from year to year, as Todd has noted from his encounters with the group at Many Glacier.
Now to find a reliably waterproof tent...
Tara

Post by Tara »

Let me know what you find with that....
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

Tara wrote:
Let me know what you find with that....
I have thought of replacing my 30-y-o Timberline Eureka A-frame tent, which worked perfectly fine until I washed it in Clorox (it still is *almost* perfectly fine, and I have used it in weeks of nonstop rain), with another, but equipment list says "tent with rain fly to the ground." As this is Alaska, and Alaska is supersize, I'll expect supersize rain. And the Eureka rain fly doesn't go to the ground, though it laps (sort of) the high bathtub floor. I do not have to carry this tent other than into the van that transports equipment.

The Wilderness Volunteers site has photos for almost all of its trips. I'm entertained by the very hefty build of those who go to Alaska. I'd just like a northerly feel, things crunching in the underbrush, one brilliantly starry night ...

Return to “Areas Surrounding Glacier”