2011 Trip to Banff, questions...

Even though Glacier is the focal point, the Flathead and the surrounding area presents boundless activities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

perzeetorres
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

2011 Trip to Banff, questions...

Post by perzeetorres »

Hi, I was wondering if any of you have info on Banff. My husband and I got engaged there in oct of 2001. In fact, last summer I saw a picture of Lake Agnes Tea house and that sparked my interest in returning that eventually lead to this summers trip to Glacier! (We opted to just to Glacier and leave Banff for another trip... now that looks like nest summer)

I am thinking of flying into Calgary, renting a camper and visiting the Lake Louise area and then a "Dinosaur area" in the badlands for the kids (and me too :D ) ...it has a German sounding name, but I can't think of it right now.. Drumheller maybe?

Anyway, the camper rentals are substancially less if I leave the end of June, than in July or August. I have also read on Trip Advisor that there are less crowds in June.. Knowing that GTTS road doesn't always open in June, is that why Banff is cheaper in June? Will we run into lots of snow and closed roads/stores/restaurants in June? Currently thinking of June 24 - July 4 (or something close to that to avoid Sunday camper pick ups with extra charges, etc...

I know many of you have posted that you don't like Banff, but it has sentimental ties for us (only spent a weekend there at Lake Louise only... loved it on Oct.... maybe it was the "moment" too :D )

Do any of you know about the Dinasour exhibits or dig areas near Calgary or elsewhere? Can any of you rec places to visit or NOT visit? Our twins will be 7 next summer. Their biggest hike this summer was up to Ptarmagin falls and back on a hot July 8 in the afternoon... they did VERY well!

Thanks, Michele
flatlander
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Re: 2011 Trip to Banff, questions...

Post by flatlander »

I like many others think that Banff lost much of its charm when it was expanded to accomodate the convntion crowds. When I am in the area, I will visit it early in the day to avoid the crowds, then head out to Yoho National Park ... the "crown of the Canadian Rockies". We considered returning again this year but were deterred by exorbinant lodging rates. A camper may be the best way to go.

The lower rates at the end of June probably do reflect the fact that many trails and attractions may not be accessible due to snow. Our last visit was in the last week of June several years ago, and we were pretty much closed out of our desired trails by snow. After being similarly 'snowed out' during a visit to Olympic Natl Park in the last week of JULY 2008, I now hesitate to plan any mountain trips before August, just to be on the safe side.
slowhiker
Donator
Donator

Post by slowhiker »

I went all the way up to Jasper in very early June several years ago and snow and closures were not really an issue. I also know that if you travel carefully, you are able to drive the entire trip from Banff to Jasper most of the winter because of skiing, so it doesn't ever really "board up" for the winter like Glacier.
perzeetorres

Post by perzeetorres »

THanks for the input.. I think we might try June to avoid crowds.. With small kids we don't do a lot of high altitudes or steep climbs... so maybe we'll be ok trail wise. The Dino place is Drumheller, and there is a Unesco site with a campground that we are thinking of staying in also. Getting excited about visiting the mountains again! maybe we can drive down wo Waterton too!
trevbo

Post by trevbo »

Hi, The royal tyrell museum is in drumheller, a couple of hours east of Calgary... It is a great day trip... you and your kids will really enjoy that.

If you have the time to visit dinosaur provincial park, that is not too far afield from drumheller and definitely worthwhile for extending the day after a visit to the museum. It is a great place for camping and going for short hikes with your kids on signed trails... Located maybe an hour or two from drumheller. If you are organized, you can visit a dig site at dinosaur park (you have to go with a guided group and pay a fee). The interpretive/guided programs are quite popular and often completely booked as you can reserve in advance... Check out http://www.tpr.alberta.ca/parks/dinosaur/index.aspx
perzeetorres

Post by perzeetorres »

Trevbo, Thanks so much! That is exactly the place I was thinking about and have been searching on the internet for. Any suggestions you have on campgrounds in Drumheller would be appreciated. I am thinking of staying in Calgary one night, picking up the camper the next, 3 or 4 nights in Lake Louise area, and then maybe 2 or 3 nights in Drumheller/Dinosaur provincial park a last night in Calgary and return.. probably June 26 - July 4 or around there... any thoughts about this itenerary or other areas we might want to see? How long of a drive from Lake Louise to Drumheller? Thanks again!
trevbo

Post by trevbo »

Lake Louise to drumheller is approx. a 5 hr trip (more like 6 - 7 hrs the way I drive). Your itinerary sounds good... Looks like you are budgeting enough time to enjoy both the mountains and the badlands.

My mum lives back east and every time she visits me in Alberta, she wants to see both Drumheller and Banff every time (often in a single 3-4 day trip - which we have done, but definitely not recommended because you spend so much of your time driving).

To break up the driving, you should consider staying a night in Canmore or Kananaskis rather than in Banff, they are at least an hour closer to Calgary than Lake Louise.

Re: camping in Drumheller... there seem to be a few different campgrounds in or near the town. I car camped in Drumheller a couple of years ago but can't recall the name of the place we stayed, sorry! It was right on the river(red deer river?) and was quite nice.
Calgary Ray

Post by Calgary Ray »

Dear Michele:

Sorry for not responding sooner. I've been up to my yin-yang in various events and this is the first free moment I've had in days.

I live in Calgary, so am familiar with Banff (not my haunt, I'd rather go to Waterton or Glacier) and Drumheller.

Your kids will love the Tyrrell Museum near Drumheller. Plan to make a day of your visit. The Tyrrell will take several hours, and you might want to plan a break while doing it. There's a cafeteria there or you could back into town (a couple of miles away) to catch a meal, snack or whatever, then head back to finishing it off. There are hands-on exhibits at the outset in the museum to help little ones understand some of the physics and mechanics of dinosaurs, fossilization and so on. It helps set the tone for what's to come. The displays of bones and models is truly world-class. If you think the kids can handle it, you could watch Jurrasic Park in the RV that night.

In town of Drumheller, there's a dinosaur model which you can go up inside and there's a lookout point from its mouth to give you a great view of the region.

Depending on the way you drive to or from Drumheller, you might want to take the Bleriot Ferry. The ferry is named for Andre Bleriot who commissioned it in 1913. He is supposed to be related to Louis Bleriot, famous for his flight across the English Channel (another movie tie-in, if you want).

Definitely get out to see the Badlands and hoodoos. As was mentioned, there are digs going on at Dinosaur Provincial Park. check it out on the web for times, prices and if it fits in your schedule. There was coal mining in the region back in the day and a number of ghost towns and abandoned mine sites to see, if you're so inclined.

If you're in Calgary, a trip up the Calgary Tower is a nice diversion. If the kids are into history, there's Heritage Park, with original buildings moved to the site to create a historical village, including some re-enactors to spice up the displays. It traces Alberta history from the 1870s to 1920s. Our settlement history doesn't go back very far. There are also lots of riverside trails and parks in Calgary, which could make it fun for the kids to take a hike (a bird sanctuary, maybe). The Calgary Zoo is also well recognized for its variety of animals.

The idea of stopping in Cochrane is a good one, if you're looking for a break. It's a tourism town catering to day-trippers from Calgary. Not a lot to entertain kids, although you might look into a guided canoe trip on the Bow River. The water is at its highest in early June (snow melt and rain), so rafting is out of the question. The restaurants are great and there are numerous small shops to check out, but prices are appropriate for a tourism destination.

Banff is a tourism town. You go to Banff townsite to see the town, not necessarily the mountains. Shopping and dining are the main activities in the townsite. It has several small malls, one with upscale stores. Hit the scenic spots like Bow Falls and the Cave and Basin, tour the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel, and generally explore the townsite. A short hike (relatively) up Tunnel Mountain can give good views. Ride the gondola up Sulphur Mountain. Take a boat trip on nearby Lake Minnewanka. Hike in Johnson Canyon (it's not far) to see the falls.

Unless there's a blizzard, don't worry about anything being shut down. Banff is open 24/7/365 as an all-season resort. Only the road between Banff and Jasper might be shut down due to inclement weather (it's your access to the Icefields). But that can happen even in the "summer," due to the elevation. And it usually reopens within a day, if not the same day.

I always enjoy a lunch or dinner on the terrace at Chateau Lake Louise. Hit it later in the meal time and you can usually dawdle and enjoy the view (weather dependent). The birds will sit on the fence enclosing the terrace waiting to eat off the plates of people who have just gotten up to leave. They're very aggressive and get very close to you. Also watch for ground squirrels and chipmunks.

You'd mentioned June 24 to July 4 or so at the period to visit. Watch for the July long weekend. Everything will be booked. It's Canada Day on July 1 and Independence Day on July 4 -- a double whammy. Maybe plan to be in Calgary on Canada Day, that way you can enjoy the festivities at Prince's Island Park in the downtown, then watch the fireworks display nearby.

Speaking of the RV, you might want to compare the rental cost with doing motels and simply having a rental car. I'm not sure using an RV puts you that much farther ahead financially. A car is a heck of a lot easier to park and get around in than an RV for the type of trip you're planning (at least that's my opinion).

I hope I haven't led you astray.

Best wishes.
Tara

Post by Tara »

I'll second the recommendation for Dinosaur Provincial Park...my kids really loved that. We didn't have time to go to Drumheller.

I'm one of those people who isn't fond of Banff but if I was going I'd go off season. In your case if you want to get to the tea house, you do need to pay attention to weather. I would maybe call someone in the park or at the chateau at Lake Louise and see if they can tell you how early in June the trail up there is usually accessible and go from there. Good luck!
perzeetorres

Post by perzeetorres »

Thanks Everyone!! I have reserved a camper and have flights booked... Banff is on! I have to post some cute things my kids say about Glacier, though... I need to start a new thread for that.
Tara

Post by Tara »

I have to post some cute things my kids say about Glacier, though... I need to start a new thread for that.
Great idea!

Return to “Areas Surrounding Glacier”