ultimate daypack

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

missguinness
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: ultimate daypack

Post by missguinness »

Unfortunately we don't have an REI even close to us so I can't vouch for for their packs. We are hooked on Gregory packs. For my backpacking I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't trade my my Petit Dru, a women's pack, for anything! I actually own two of them. :oops: When we were looking for more of a day pack, I immediately went to Gregory's Arreba, their women's day pack. After trying it on, it was REALLY uncomfortable. I was so shocked. I thought all women's pack would fit great. Trying on a pack stuffed with "stuff" is really important. My first suggestion would be to look for a women's pack, but more important, find one that is comfortable to you.
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
~Victor Hugo
soup!
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by soup! »

Hey all.

I'm going to throw my $.02 in here in case anyone with a long torso comes along and reads this thread. If you, like me have a 25" torso, finding the "ultimate" pack of any kind quickly becomes a case study in compromise.

Background: I don't pretend to be as experienced as the other folks in this forum, most of my hiking came in my 6 years in the USMC. I'm not "captain brainwash" or anything.. I have a beard and hug trees and whatnot.. that's just where most of my walking has been done. These days I get to Montana every chance I get, I've done dayhikes in GNP, YNP, and the absaroka-beartooth wilderness, but don't get nearly the trail-time I'd like. I currently have two packs, and neither of them are going to be popular choices among folks who are 'real' hikers, but if you're a big guy like me I might be able to save you some time. Since this is a daypack thread, I'll stick to the smaller of the two.

For everything from a day hike to a weekend backpack I take my $299 eberlestock JP9 ( http://www.eberlestock.com/JP9%20Blue%20Widow.htm )

Cons:
-It's expensive if you're looking for just a day-pack
-It's heavy
-It's... military looking (it helps to have an SLR with a large lense, then people see you and think "wildlife photographer" instead of "scary camoflage person")

Pros:
-It fits your torso. you're big.. you're small.. whatever, it fits.
-It's flexible, look at the link, it's hard to describe, in it's "daypack" configuration it has two large vertical pockets and a topcover pocket and is about 2200 cubic inches.. Those fold out to expose a large central pocket and the pack becomes a 4700 cubic inch overnighter. With add-on's it gets even bigger but I don't have any of those. The way it works.. it makes it very easy to lash on odd pieces of gear (like a spotting scope with tripod attached), again, it's hard to describe, but it's a very clever design that is not a gimmick. It works in real life.
-it's water proof... well, not submersible like an arcteryx or anything, but yeah I don't worry about rain. I might throw the poncho over it in a torrential downpour.
-the suspension system is at least as good as any non-custom molded pack I've ever tried. The "larger" you are, the more you'll like the suspension system in my experience. For example, little folks in my experience like thicker shoulder straps because they help the pack "stick" better to their back. More "omnipresent" people have trouble with thick straps pinching the back of their neck, and restricting their range of motion. The jp9 suspension system puts the pack on your hips and sticks it to your back while staying out of your way at the same time. Big people like it alot, little people can probably find something better. I'm not going to say it's magic or that I walk 20 miles without knowing it's there, but it's pretty great for me.
-It has crazy hydration. Three different places for hydration bladders, I can carry all the water I need for a full backcountry loop in the Chisos Mountains (big bend np) inside the pack.
-It will last forever. The only reason you'll ever need to replace this pack is if it becomes obsolete. Like if someone gifts you a small burro or a sherpa. Seriously, it was a design-goal that it be stuffed full of dead animal parts and drug down 10,000 foot scree slopes.
-scary camouflage people will think you're cool. That might help... if you get lost and wind up in scarycamouflageville you'll have a conversation-starter.
Kathy
Donator
Donator

Post by Kathy »

Hey soup! - Welcome! And "THANKS!" for your "$.02"!!.....we love to have folks tell us what they've experienced and what has worked (or not worked) for them, so thank you for chiming in!
"You never really leave a place you love....part of it you take with you, leaving a part of yourself behind."
So....Live well. - Laugh often. - Love much.----And get to Glacier as often as you can!
stillwater

Post by stillwater »

Welcome Soup! I talked with a fellow down at the Kalispell Gun Show last month that had one of those packs. I was impressed with the way it carries a rifle. I have seen Mike and Guy Eastman of Eastman Hunting use those packs on their shows. They Look top notch too me.

stillwater
soup!

Post by soup! »

Thanks for the welcomes.

I should have probably introduced myself in the general chat section, but I've been lurking this forum for nearly 2 years now since our last trip up to GNP in 2007, so I feel like I know you guys already. Didn't mean to be impolite and sorry that my first (and second) post was a gear-hound post. Just can't resist plugging my jp9 to folks I guess.
stillwater wrote:Welcome Soup! I talked with a fellow down at the Kalispell Gun Show last month that had one of those packs. I was impressed with the way it carries a rifle. I have seen Mike and Guy Eastman of Eastman Hunting use those packs on their shows. They Look top notch too me.

stillwater
The JP9 doesn't have the rifle scabbard (though it's designed to incorporate one) and I've never really carried a rifle in it so I can't vouch for how comfortable that is. I guess it would depend a lot on the rifle. I have several friends who use them in the military (which is how I became aware of them) and they all speak very highly of the sky-crane and jp104 in that context. I wish I had had one in the military, because it sure beats the heck out of anything we got to use back then :wink:

Any luck at the gunshow? The gunshow scene down here in texas is pretty crazy. Lines around buildings, fire marshalls having to come in and enforce occupancy limits etc..
Handapanda

Post by Handapanda »

The Kelty Redwing is my absolute favorite! It's big enough for long day hikes, very well made and durable, and it's comfortable no matter how full I stuff it . :D
mxfuel
Gender?: Male

Post by mxfuel »

I just read about some packs in the backpacker Jan 2010 issue, so I went to get it for you. It is ratings for a weekend pack.

GoLite Lite Speed was ranked the best overall - 4.5
North Face Ligero 50 - 3.8
Alps Mountaineering Orizaba - 3.0
Lowe Alpine Tour Attack 40 - 3.0
High Sierra Summit - 2.5

I know that Osprey makes some womens packs and they usually get very good ratings.
Marmotman

Post by Marmotman »

I'm glad to see someone resurrected this topic again. My 2 cents - REI Flash 30 !!!!!! :arrow: I got this last spring. Love it. Its one of the lightweight series that's large enough for any day hike but very lightweight. It has both a bladder pocket inside and water bottle pockets on the outside. I've used both on different hikes depending on water availability. Easy to get to a bottle with one hand. Plenty of storage. I love the little pockets on the hip belt. One for my camera and the other for power gel. Easy to get to.
bpv_UW

Post by bpv_UW »

Seems to be a lot of support for the Kelty Redwing series here! My wife has a 2650 which she swears by. I have a 3100 which I like, but IMHO is a bit large for a day pack (for me the 3100 has worked better for short backpacking trips). The day pack I have and love is the Osprey Talon 33. This is fairly simple, with a large top-access compartment that provides most of the storage space. Volume is posted at just over 2,000 ci, but it carries a bit larger than this, IMO. It's quite lightweight (around 3 lbs) and has a great suspension system that is comfortable and adjustable for torso length (I'm 6'6" and it fits very well). I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

-Brandon
sambieni
Donator
Donator

Post by sambieni »

I just got the Osprey Kestrel 38. I have loaded it up w/ about 20 pounds or so recently for an easy 8-9 miler hike, but no altitude along the Hudson River here in NYC. It felt great. Hugged me perfect and moved well w/ my body. I felt really nimble w/ it on and comfy, which was most welcome since I am nursing a knee back to health. Its nicely adjustable. Has a built in rainfly i hope I never need, and some good straps and things for packing on other items to it. Its a top loader, but does have a zip at teh bottom for a sleeping bag. I really love the pack, particularly inserting Osprey's water reservoir that has a flat back so you feel zero bulge while wearing like other reservoirs may do.

I was nervous it might be too big for a daypack, but it really cinches down well to feel not so big even if not so heavy or loaded. But then has good capacity to fill up and work its magic for an overnight if you choose. I started loading it up last night to see how it fills and its packing quite well so far so I feel really godo a bout it. I am gonna test it out this weekend doing just that - an overnight in the Berkshires at Mt Greylock in Mass. Cannot wait.

Also was nervous it wouldnt work since the Osprey Aether 70 I sported for my newest backpacking pack simply didn't feel good on me at all and had to swap it for the Arc Teryx Altra 75, which is like heaven on my back.

I am really digging the Osprey Kestrel. Check it out.
Tara

Post by Tara »

Yay! I would love to know what model it is!

I haven't hit the REI sale yet....I will have to this weekend.

So...where is your pack's first trip going to be? Miss you on Facebook, btw!

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”