REI Flash 65 Pack

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Steve
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

REI Flash 65 Pack

Post by Steve »

Does anyone have this pack? I'm looking for some personal experience from Glacier chatters on this one.

Backpacker magazine made it an editor's choice this spring, here's a link to their video:
http://www.backpacker.com/rei_flash_bac ... /videos/79
You can also check out the gear guide from Backpacker if you happen to have it lying around.

This pack is on sale right now at REI for $109, and that is a great deal -- but before I get one, I thought someone might have some helpful comments. Here's a link to the pack at REI.com:
http://www.rei.com/product/778468

It would cut over a pound from my current pack (which I may donate to my son, who is a fledgling backpacker). I'm just a little skittish about the lack of pockets, daisy chain, and other conveniences that I have gotten used to. I use the daypack version of this as a stuff sack for my tent and it works pretty great -- you just turn it inside out and it becomes a lightweight daypack.

What do you guys think about this pack?
dorf
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: REI Flash 65 Pack

Post by dorf »

IMO I would not trust the Backpacker Gear Guide as they're generally whores for their advertisers. that said, it looks like a decent pack and has gotten some good reviews.

If weight is a concern and you want a pack that's a proven commodity I'd take a look at the Granite Gear Vapor Trail. The capacity is a tad less but it weighs in at a hair over 2 lbs.. I've carried 32-33 lbs. in mine on a week-long trip without issues. No noticeable wear over the three seasons I've used mine, either. The hip belt makes that pack---very comfortable. You could probably find a new older model for $115 or so.

This might help you in your quest...
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... packs.html
So many mountains, so little time.
Steve

Post by Steve »

That's not the first time I've heard that comment about Backpacker, Dorf. There is probably something to that.

Thanks for the link and the info -- I'm definitely going to do some research before the purchase. The Granite Gear looks like a good pack. I have a couple of friends who are sold on Deuter packs, so I'm checking those out, too.
balou44
Donator
Donator

Post by balou44 »

I almost bought a Flash 65 on the last big REI sale. Even loaded it up and hiked the store. Couldnt pull the trigger. It just didnt feel right loaded. I think I will test fit a Go Lite instead.
dorf

Post by dorf »

This is my latest toy.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=34

A hiking partner used it last year and was quite impressed. I've only walked around the block with it but it feels pretty good. the mesh pockets will be put to good use.
So many mountains, so little time.
bpv_UW

Post by bpv_UW »

Resurrecting an old topic here...

I bought a new backpacking pack this past year and debated between the REI Flash 65 and the Deuter ACT Lite 60+10. Ended up going with the latter, which was a bit more comfortable for me, particularly in the shoulders. Haven't done any real hiking with it yet, but hope to this summer. Will try to post my impressions when I do so.

-Brandon
sj in cal

Post by sj in cal »

balou44 wrote:I almost bought a Flash 65 on the last big REI sale. Even loaded it up and hiked the store. Couldnt pull the trigger. It just didnt feel right loaded. I think I will test fit a Go Lite instead.
Same thing happened to me when I tried on the Flash 65. However, the Ridgeline was a better fit, which I bought. I'll do a break-in this summer.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”