GPS

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

mxfuel
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

GPS

Post by mxfuel »

What are everyone's recommendations on a GPS. I have a Garmin Etrex that I got for free. It looses reception in the woods. I think that I am going to give it to my cousin and upgrade. I am looking at the Garmin Dakota 20 or the Garmin Oregon (not sure what model). I am leaning on purchasing the Dakota 20.
padlinfool

Re: GPS

Post by padlinfool »

We are avid geocachers and use a Etrex Vista Hcx. It has great reception, battery life, mapping capability, price and size..... but if I was buying a new one I would also lean toward the Dakota20 at this point. Better battery life, daytime view-ability and smaller size/price than it's bigger brother.

http://www.gpsfix.net/gamin-dakota-20-f ... pressions/
bsktball55

Post by bsktball55 »

I have the Garmin 60csx which has been great. It doesn't loose reception in the woods and I have never had a problem with it. If I were to get a new one right now, I would probably be looking at the Oregon or Colorado.
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

mxfuel wrote:I have a Garmin Etrex that I got for free. It looses reception in the woods. I think that I am going to give it to my cousin and upgrade.
Hm, I am kinda wondering here? Do you and your cousin like each other? :shock:

:lol:
dennisgolfer

Post by dennisgolfer »

daveparker wrote:
mxfuel wrote:I have a Garmin Etrex that I got for free. It looses reception in the woods. I think that I am going to give it to my cousin and upgrade.
Hm, I am kinda wondering here? Do you and your cousin like each other? :shock:

:lol:
Ha! I was thinking the same thing Dave! :lol:
mxfuel

Post by mxfuel »

LOL I guess I didn't mean it that way. He is a college student and just begining hiking. He will take what ever he can get.
Marmotman

Post by Marmotman »

Does anyone out there have experience with DeLorme GPS units? I've been looking at some but not sure. I have an old Garmin Etrex Venture that needs to be upgraded desparately. I use the DeLorme Topo USA for my hiking maps and thought it would be a good fit.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

i've got a garmin vista, works well but has a small screen. hard for me to read. best application for me is paddling trips. doesn't make alot of sense when hiking trails. off trail stuff would be good. i'd sell it if someone was interested.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”