Seeking recommendation

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Carolyn
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Seeking recommendation

Post by Carolyn »

As between Logging Creek, Bowman Lake and Quartz Creek, which would you recommend for a couple of nights of car camping with kids? Thanks in advance.
July Guy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Seeking recommendation

Post by July Guy »

I'd go with Bowman. For one thing potable water is available through water spigots in the campground. Logging Creek and Quartz Creek have no available water. Bowman will still get you away from the crowds, and the scenery is fantastic.
"So how was your trip to Minnesota, or Canada, or wherever it is you go?"

~ Coworker
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Thanks very much. That's what we're looking for. We'd try Kintla, but it seems to be filling up very early.
July Guy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by July Guy »

Yep, with Bowman being bigger you should not have a problem. Also, enjoy Polebridge.

Have fun.
"So how was your trip to Minnesota, or Canada, or wherever it is you go?"

~ Coworker
mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Donator & Special Contributor
Gender?: Male

Post by mattB »

I recently camped at Logging Creek, and have camped at Bowman in the past and drove by Quartz Creek. And I think I agree with the others, Bowman would probably be the first choice, although Quartz Creek looked pretty nice.

For me Bowman has a couple of minor negative points; the road up from Polebridge is a bit long and narrrow, but if you've driven to Kintla in the past it wouldn't be that bad.
Also the campground is in a thick stand of lodgepole, so its a bit dark sometimes, although lots of shade, and there's not much brush, which is a good thing in a way, but it also means that visibility between campsites is pretty open for a lot of the campsites, so sometimes it feels like the neighbors are really close. But these are really minor things, and Bowman doesn't fill up that often so it should be easy to find a campsite away from the neighbors. The roads not bad, unless you're planning to make several trips a day back and forth to Polebridge, but thats a tradeoff, the drive might be annoying, but the pastries at the Mercantile might be worth it! :-)

With the lake, trails and beach there's probably lots more to keep kids entertained at Bowman.

Between Logging Creek and Quartz Creek, I'll try Quartz Creek next time, its a bit closer to Polebridge, and just seemed to be in a nicer setting. Logging Creek is almost right on the road (although there's almost no traffic) and is just kind of open, with not much shade, seemed like it could get hot. Its right beside the creek, there's a Ranger Station just across the road, and the Logging Lake Trailhead is about 200 yds away, but might not be a lot to keep kids occupied?

Quartz Creek is also pretty close to the road, and neither of these have a lake which is a big benefit of Bowman. Quartz or Logging might be easier access if you have a motorhome or long-ish trailer.
Montana09

Post by Montana09 »

Carolyn wrote:As between Logging Creek, Bowman Lake and Quartz Creek, which would you recommend for a couple of nights of car camping with kids? Thanks in advance.

Bowman, easily. The others are in very thick country and quite small. Bowman has a nice beach, spacious sites and great water recreation for kids. You can view Bowman campground here(the site also has Quartz and Logging Creek):

http://www.parkcamper.com/Glacier-Natio ... ground.htm
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Thanks. Bowman or Kintla -- which would you choose?
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Bowman has more hiking opportunities and a larger and better beach. I'd choose Bowman Lake.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Thanks. We're from the Northeast, where it's a little hard to find real solitude. Bowman/Kintla is the right place to go in Glacier, if that's what we're seeking, correct? We're planning on three nights up there and three nights at Two Med. Does that seem right?
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

All the North Fork campgrounds are quieter than most other spots in Glacier. There is no restaurant, camp store or hotels. Just campers. And the type of road you drive is a good filter for big RVs too. Although some make it in there. If you want a quieter Glacier experience then Bowman or Kintla will suit you just fine. Remember though that these area are far from the alpine delights so many want to see while in Glacier.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Montana09

Post by Montana09 »

Carolyn wrote:Thanks. We're from the Northeast, where it's a little hard to find real solitude. Bowman/Kintla is the right place to go in Glacier, if that's what we're seeking, correct? We're planning on three nights up there and three nights at Two Med. Does that seem right?

Yes, that is perfect.

In my experience, Kintla is quieter than Bowman overall. But, the sites at Bowman are much more spacious and private. All of the sites at Kintla are kind of scrunched together. You can hear people snore, etc. Both lakes are stunning in their beauty.

Two Medicine is much busier and larger than Bowman, but I really don't care because it's just such an awesome envrionment over there. It's very different in atmosphere to Bowman. Both are great, both are must stay campgrounds IMHO. Two Med has fast hikes into the alpine delights Ear Mountain mentioned. Plus the fishing is pretty darn good. I would have to say Two Medicine Lake is my favorite in the park. Just something about it.

Bowman and Two Med are an unbeatable combo. Glacier really has a leg up on the Yellowstone campgrounds in terms of remote car access.

Return to “Camping”