Camp Sites

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Yvonne Settle
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Camp Sites

Post by Yvonne Settle »

Hi Everyone,

We are planning to stay Gunsight Lake (GUN), Oldman Lake (OLD), and No Name Lake (NON) the end of July. We have not backpacked in Glacier before (only day hiked) and I was wondering if these campsites had bear boxes and poles? We have bear canisters which we used in other parks with bears but there is no mention here of needing them. Is anyone has camped at these places can you let me know what the camps contain. We are hopeful to get over Gunsight Pass from the Lake so I sure hope there is a big snow melt in the next week because it sounds pretty doubtful right now.
Thanks.
:arrow:
GuloGulo
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Camp Sites

Post by GuloGulo »

Hi Yvonne,

We were at Gunsight Lake for 2 nights on July 6 & 7. There were two bear poles. I believe there is a pole or box at every campsite in Glacier. The only time I had to take a bucket was when camping in a site in winter status.

We tried to hike to the pass but turned around at the first snow field. Others made it to the pass with crampons and axes. They reported 7 steep snow fields. Check with the rangers and you will have good info. I was told by a ranger that she planned to go up there this past weekend so there should be some current updates.

Look out for storms. They can be particularly rough up in the pass. If you see one coming hunker down in a lower elevation until it passes. We saw a doozy come through shortly after returning to camp.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male

Post by Hockey Ref »

All BC sites in Glacier have poles or bear boxes.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by Ear Mountain »

Hockey Ref wrote:All BC sites in Glacier have poles or bear boxes.
Some camps have neither pole nor boxes but have wires between trees instead. In any case all designated Backcountry Campsites have provisions for storing food and other items out of reach of bears.

The 25 feet of rope recommendation by the Park Service is a minimum. I suggest a longer line to facilitate hanging food.

Finally, be aware the mice often penetrate bear boxes. I never use the boxes if there is a high alternative like a pole or wire available.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.

Return to “Camping”