Front Country camp cooking

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Pitr
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Front Country camp cooking

Post by Pitr »

Greetings,
Since I must have been slow on the draw, the only back country permit I was able to obtain for my trip(2 weeks, end of july/early august) was for the quartz loop. So it looks like a lot of day hikes for my stay. It may sound like it, but trust me, I'm not complaining :).

My question is this...Those of you who fly to MT, what do you do for front country campsite cooking?

I'll have my jetboil. But it seems a bit diminutive for a luxurious front country campsite ;) and dried foods at FC just doesn't seem like car camping. A grill over a campfire is an option, if they aren't banned. But food storage(re: cooler) will be a problem. Because I imagine we'll be getting back late, I'm not sure what restaurants will be a viable option. I'm tempted to ship out, or purchase a cooler and small propane stove(as i need to purchase propane once i arrive anyway), but I'm cheap and imagine that will get costly. Any votes or suggestions? i.e. quit being lazy and prepare your usual back country meals? :D

--Pete
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Front Country camp cooking

Post by Ear Mountain »

Pete,
Every Front Country campsite has a fire ring and grill. We usually prepare meals on that. You'll have to purchase or find firewood though. Use the Jet Boil for assistance.

Also you should look carefully through the Backcountry Site Availability. There's gotta be a trip in there waiting just for you.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

I cooked most of the ten nights I was at Many Glacier Campground last year. The best place to shop on the East Side is the supermarket in Browning where you can buy meat, produce, fruit and anything else you'd need. It is about an hour from Many Glacier and I stopped there every three days or so (as I don't trust meat in a cooler any longer than this).

You can cook most anything over the campfire using the fire grate and a simple pot and pan. My menu consisted primarily of burgers, steak, and eggbeater omelettes (a personal campfire favorite; generally turkey, cheese, onions, tomatoes and eggbeaters) which can all be prepared in 15 minutes or less.

For sides I generally do baked potatoes (wrapped in foil and cooked in fire embers for about an hour) or baked beans (open can slightly and set close to fire for about 10 minutes). I also generally have yogurt with fresh raspberries or blackberries for dessert.

I look forward to cooking and having "real food" after a long day hike rather than do dehydrated meals. Of course I also enjoy the occasional dinner at Park Cafe or Cattle Baron as well. :D
mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Donator & Special Contributor

Post by mattB »

Looks like the Glacier Outdoor Center rents a lot of stuff, including coolers.
http://www.glacierraftco.com/rentals.htm

Maybe one of the local Chatters should set up a Gear Exchange/Swap Meet? :-)
Then when you're leaving Glacier, if you have something you don't need or don't want to haul home with you, you could leave it at the Gear Exchange and then inbound chatters could check-in and borrow anything they need? Lawn chairs, coolers, tarps, axe, saw, etc.?
Anyone have an empty garage or barn near East or West Glacier?

Mostly just joking. ... but it might work? :-)
Pitr

Post by Pitr »

Thanks guys. I was leaning more toward campfires, with a fold up grill grate i have, just wasn't sure about fire situation while I was out there. Sounds like its allowed in the pits, in FC, regardless of fire status?

I haven't been out to Browning, so thanks, I'll check it out. The small grocer just outside the east side was near barren(and not cheap) last time I was there.

Any idea if the Park service accepts coolers as a donation? There has to be a cabin somewhere that needs one :) I know they welcome bear spray.

Ear: I haven't given up hope yet...I'm sure I'll be standing in line a few mornings, still hoping for a few day trip from Kintla up to Boulder or Brown pass.
Matt: If anyone had an empty barn or garage in east glacier, there would probably be more squatters than gear :lol:
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Pitr wrote: I was leaning more toward campfires, with a fold up grill grate i have, just wasn't sure about fire situation while I was out there. Sounds like its allowed in the pits, in FC, regardless of fire status?
Not really, when the fire danger gets really high all fires are prohibited. Even smoking is confined to a vehicle or enclosed building.

But this years is pretty normal so far in that there has been frequent rains. Fire danger on the Front is listed at Moderate. So cook away on those campfires.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Montana09

Post by Montana09 »

Good point about not being able to rely on campfires to cook.

I do a mix of front country camping and backcountry every trip to Glacier and I use a single burner propane stove. It works for both my gf and I, and my friend brings along his own propane burner. The propane canisters are heavy for backpacking but not really a problem for me. I also like the fact they won't leak gas on anything.

There is a little grocery store in West Glacier that sells cooking items. You can grab a pot or a pan there for a few bucks (or at the grocery store in Columbia Falls). I'm not a big fan of playing "keep the meat cool" when in the woods( I like to focus on fishing, photography, spending time with friends) so I avoid buying it at all costs unless it can be eaten quickly. One thing I do keep a lot of is canned chicken. You can throw this into anything and make it taste good, especially those Velveta Shells and Cheese. Canned ravioli is good, as well as baked beans, various soups and fruits. PB&J is an obvious one. A huge stash of trail mix is always good. I also live on those Lipton pasta sides:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 ... _SH20_.jpg

Also good with the chicken or canned salmon. The camp stores will often have things like hot dogs and smores for cooking around the campfire.

If you get bored East Glacier has some pretty great places to get food.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

A few fun facts.
-There's quite a few bear lockers at MG campground. Contrary to the name, they're meant to store food or food smelling items and not bears. We kept our cooler in the locker during the whole trip.
-I got extra fuel at the ranger station. People drop off partially used gas containers before heading home.
-The restraurant is not bad and pretty damn convenient. Meals are in the $7-9 range.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
barbuck

Post by barbuck »

Pitr wrote: Any idea if the Park service accepts coolers as a donation? There has to be a cabin somewhere that needs one :)
We always buy an inexpensive one when we arrive at a destination and leave it at the last place we stay. Our final day at Glacier last year was at an Apgar cabin; we told them we were leaving it at checkout & they said they can always find someone who can use a cooler...
-Bruce

Return to “Camping”