Ice Axes & Crampons

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

poky5mom
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Ice Axes & Crampons

Post by poky5mom »

I'm just curious - how many of you take ice axes & crampons when you hike? Is it something you always carry with you or just if you know a trail might have snow on it?
Kim
missguinness
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: Ice Axes & Crampons

Post by missguinness »

We took ice axes and step-in crampons last year because we were there the first two weeks of July and knew we were doing some off trail hiking. Last year there was still a lot of snow on the trail. Didn't use the crampons, but had fun practicing with the ice axe. :mrgreen: When we used to go in August, we haven't taken them.
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
~Victor Hugo
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male

Post by Hockey Ref »

Have never taken or used.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

Likewise I have never taken or used these. I don't think many hikers consider these items to be standard equipment for trail hikes unless they are hiking early in the season and on trails which are likely to have high angle snow crossings. Sperry Glacier and Gunsight Lake to Gunsight Pass early in the season come to mind as places where I might be tempted to carrry these although since I am not familiar with the use of an ice axe it may be of little use for me to carry one anyway.

Lyman
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by Ear Mountain »

Ice axes and crampons are heavy. Therefore I would not carry them unless I expected to need them. There have been a few occasions where I didn't have either and should have had at least an ice axe.

Hiking to Huckleberry Lookout one June day comes to mind. The trail traverses the NW side of the mountain in order to reach the lookout. The snow was firm and steep. A fall would send one quickly down the slope with the possibility of hitting a tree or falling into a tree well. I accomplished the latter and fortunately did not get hurt. But I could have been seriously injured. My bad!

An ice axe can be a great tool to use to perform a self arrest on steep icy snow. But it's sort of like driving a car. One does not go out and buy a car and go for a drive without first learning the rules of the road, learning how to drive and practicing driving for a while. Same with ice axes. If you fall on steep icy snow you must be able to automatically and without thinking (redundant?) perform a self arrest. There is no time to plan out your moves as you are gaining speed and perhaps tumbling on rock hard snow. Besides, an ice axe can quickly become a dangerous weapon in the hands of an inexperienced user.

So my recommendation for casual hikers is to avoid steep snow and ice. Simply turn back when it is encountered. For those who want to be able to traverse such areas, climb mountains with snow hazards, or climb on glaciers, I suggest learning the various methods of self arrest from an experienced and qualified individual. Then practice until the self arrest becomes automatic. After you've gotten your license then go for a drive.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”