how much water?

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Buxy
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

how much water?

Post by Buxy »

Just wondering how much water two adults should carry for a good day hike in mid June? Also any product suggestions on water bottles or water containers.
dorf
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: how much water?

Post by dorf »

Personally, I'd probably only carry a liter if there were water sources en route and I had my filter with me. I'd guess 2- 4 liters each would be enough but that's a question you have to answer for yourself. Just refill a couple of plastic water, soda or Gatorade bottles. There's no need to go out and buy something new.
So many mountains, so little time.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

There have been day hikes where I (one person) would go through 5 liters of water and others where 1 was enough. Depends on your physiology, the weather and route you are hiking.

If you will pass water sources carry a filter. I personally don't reuse any plastic drink bottles unless they indicate that the plastic is BPA free.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

For day hikes I have a Camelbak day pack with a 100 ounce (nearly three liters) water bladder. I've never emptied it on even a 17-mile day hike, but the temperatures have been relatively mild. However, I've used the same bladder while carrying a full BC backpack and have run out and had to filter more from a stream. Your mileage, as they say, will vary depending on your physiology, the length and difficulty of your hike, the load you're carrying, as well as the temperature and humidity.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Talusman
Donator
Donator

Post by Talusman »

two one-liter aqua-fina bottles per person and a filter covers me and the boy for one month of bakpacking, dayhiking, paddling etc.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”