Cut Bank?

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Firehole
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Cut Bank?

Post by Firehole »

Anybody have any familiarity with Cut Bank? We have two nights to car camp before we start backpacking this summer. It looks like the kind of campground that we enjoy, small, probably no RVs, miles off the main road etc.

Our favorite campsite in Yellowstone is Slough Creek, this looks a little bit like that from the map.
How hot do you want it? Better have your hole pre-dug.....
--------------------
http://www.firehole.us
Tara
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Cutbank

Post by Tara »

HI,
I have a friend who really likes that campground...very quiet he says. I've never camped there because we can never tear ourselves from the Many Glacier campground. Yes, its busier and RV's are allowed (we tent-camp) but you can't beat the scenery and watching bears practically from your campsite.
grizzlyguy

Cut Bank Creek campground

Post by grizzlyguy »

Firehole,

The campground is just like Tara describes it. It is definately off the beaten path. Several miles of gravel road to get to the campsite. There are RV's allowed but it is a very small campsite and the ranger station there is one of the original in the park.

There are several nice dayhikes available in that drainage, IF the trails are open. This is prime grizzly territory and there is usually at least one trail closed for bear activity.

--Sam
Firehole

Post by Firehole »

Thanks guys. I think that we'll try it. Like I said, our favorite campsite in Yellowstone is Slough Creek, and this sounds similar. My buddy is looking up dayhikes from Cut Bank, we'll be sure to have a couple of options in case a trail or two are closed for bears.
How hot do you want it? Better have your hole pre-dug.....
--------------------
http://www.firehole.us
Tara

Cutbank

Post by Tara »

From what I understand I think Cutbank is probably very similar to Slough Creek (have been there but not camped there) so if that's what you're looking for you would probably be very happy! Let us all know...and post pictures when you get back!
lonemanmtn

water at cut bank

Post by lonemanmtn »

this year there will be no potable water at cut bank campground. actually, there will be no water at all. so, plan on bringing some with you if you decide to stay there this year. same with logging creek and quartz creek. all three will be in primative status from now on.
wnysteve
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Re: Cut Bank?

Post by wnysteve »

Apparently Cut Bank has been without potable water for some time, as I found out first hand when I returned there last year. And apparently it is the way it will stay in the future?? I was wondering why.

I remember returning from Triple Divide Pass one typical bright late-summer day in 2001 and tapping the Cut Bank pump for all it was worth. Cold water never tasted so good! Maybe I drank the thing dry?
toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

I camped at Slough Creek Campground Site #1 for three days in 2007, I agree that it is the best campground at Yellowstone (if you don't mind getting your car covered with 3 inches of dust driving from the main road to the campground), it is along a gorgeous creek, it is small and quiet, and the wildlife viewing around the campground is fantastic. I also drove through and checked out Cut Bank Campground in 2008. They are both small, quiet campgrounds down 3-5 miles of dirt road. The differences are that (as mentioned above) there is no potable water at Cut Bank and you don't have the wonderful creek running directly alongside the campsites.
Tara

Post by Tara »

We finally camped at Slough Creek last year. I think you'll find fewer RV's at Cutbank and Slough Creek seems a little bigger but more spread out. They are somewhat similar though. Slough is definitely my favorite Yellowstone campground now!

Return to “Camping”